West Reef

Guest DV8

Headed out Sat morning 6 am with Locodave to west Reef. Plan was to float for reddies. The conditions were not ideal with a light south easter creating a really confused sort of sea. I usually like to fish West Reef in a North Easter with a south running current and i had the total opposite. Neverthe less i got a burley trail going with bread, prawn and crab shells. Within 10 minutes I thought i had my first reddie only to find a nice mowie on the hook. I knew the reddies were down there but a bit finicky so i changed to 10 lb line and picked up a plate sized reddie. Could feel the squid down there so I put a jig down and picked up a rally large squid ( not before he had chomped the back out of my jig).

had nearly declared it a fairly shitful session and put my last bait down for the day when the 20 lb handline went spinning in the bottom of the boat. Cut the shreds out of my fingers as I grabbed it before I could put the rubber on my fingers. Five minutes later a nice King around 68 cm.

All in all a crap session turned into an average session with 1 reddie, 1 mowie, 1 king, and 1 nice squid, not to mention a couple of jackets and 6 mutton birds.

The mutton birds seem hungry i hope they dont reach the stage where I can't get a bait down like a few years ago.

Davo

you did better than me, i was in BB for an hour on sat morning but i found the choppy condtions to be too messy, it made me feel crook, so headed in and called it a day.

Yeah it was a bit unpleasant!!

Davo