2 Stroke Oils Choices / Buying Bulk

Bashir

I've used just about every bloody tcw3 oil on the market and can honestly say that I can't see the difference between any of them. :-rolleyes I've just finished a 9l container of Quiksilver because it was reccomended by my mechanic. I also couldnt see the difference between it and the BP I used just before it.

So what does everyone here use??? I've decided to buy it bulk now because I go through so much of it. Does anyone know where I can purchase any of the brands in bulk?? Anyone want to make a suggestion as to which brand is the bestest?? :banana:

Guest Big-Banana

Quicksilver stuff. I just stuck to what was recommended. I remembered what happened to Greg Joyes and thought I better just stick to the stuff the manufacturer recommends. :)

I think if you've got a reasonably new motor you should stick to the manufactures oil. If anything goes wrong with the motor and you need warranty assistance I think it would help the case.

They all probably come from the same place anyway. BP, Castrol ,Mobil etc, probably make the oil for Quicksilver , Evinrude. I cant see Evinrude etc in the oil game, I think there just branded that way. I dont know that for sure, but these marine companies make outboards not oil. I dont think there is any difference in quality in my experience, not that youd notice anyway. I use Mobil mostly.

Cheers :1prop:

No thanks Grant, I can buy 5 4litre bottles of the same brand from Whitworths for $94.75. :1yikes: Yet they also sell the 20l drums for $94.95, so for the same amount in bulk you pay an extra 25c, seems stupid to me. Thanks for the offer though. :)

Anybody know where I can buy in bulk for a reduced price??

I was told when I bought my new motor to use one brand of oil and stick to it. Apparently the different companys have different additives in the oil and that the combination of differing additives increases the risk of the oil "Gelling" in the lines...going hard in other words.

At the risk of opening a can of worms with my next statement...Here goes....

Tohatsu didn't recommend a particular brand, but did tell me not to use the Shell Nautilus product as it was shown to be inferior for Tohatsu motors compared to other oils.

I've used just about every bloody tcw3 oil on the market and can honestly say that I can't see the difference between any of them. :-rolleyes I've just finished a 9l container of Quiksilver because it was reccomended by my mechanic.  I also couldnt see the difference between it and the BP I used just before it.

So what does everyone here use???  I've decided to buy it bulk now because I go through so much of it.  Does anyone know where I can purchase any of the brands in bulk??  Anyone want to make a suggestion as to which brand is the bestest?? :banana:

16228[/snapback]

As you may or may not be aware, I am getting a boat with a 2 stroke 50.

I am interested to know how long would a 5ltr bottle of oil last?

Cheers

that depends on wheather you have an oil injected or pre-mix motor. But these days, 100:1 rather than 50:1 is the norm for pre mix engines I believe. Oil injected outboards run at different ratios depending on how many rpms.

On an average day offshore, I go through a minimum of 100l so I use a fair bit of the stuff. :angry:

I don't like my chances of finding 20l drums for under 80 bucks, but I'll have a look in the yellowpages and let you all know how I go.

that depends on wheather you have an oil injected or pre-mix motor.  But these days, 100:1 rather than 50:1 is the norm for pre mix engines I believe.  Oil injected outboards run at different ratios depending on how many rpms. 

On an average day offshore, I go through a minimum of 100l so I use a fair bit of the stuff. :angry:

I don't like my chances of finding 20l drums for under 80 bucks, but I'll have a look in the yellowpages and let you all know how I go.

16382[/snapback]

100 Litres?..man must be a huge motor...I honestly hope I dont go through that much, will turn out to be an expensive exercise

Edited by Golden Monk

well looks like i cant save u the dolars i was after mainly because penzoil is expensive anyway they only have it in 5 litre tins now & it will be arround 22.50 a tin i belive the retail starts from 27 & up for this oil i did check & it is marine grade twc-3 bashir anyway pm me if ya wanna try some ill try tog et lowest price i can that goes for anyone who might want it :banana:

Edited by mark-fisho1

Golden Monk - my 40H is 100:1.  Which means I use 20m per 20l of fuel.  In a days fishing the Hawkesbury & maybe outside I rarely use more than about 30 or so litres.  I will leave the math to you to work out how many trips I get from a  5l bottle of oil.  Maybe one of those young schoolies will work it out if they stop fishing & chasing chicks long enough  :banana:  :banana:

16979[/snapback]

Heh thanks, my math is atrocious..ill just leave it at lots of trips :blink:

Golden Monk - my 40H is 100:1.  Which means I use 20m per 20l of fuel.  In a days fishing the Hawkesbury & maybe outside I rarely use more than about 30 or so litres.  I will leave the math to you to work out how many trips I get from a  5l bottle of oil.  Maybe one of those young schoolies will work it out if they stop fishing & chasing chicks long enough  :banana:  :banana:

16979[/snapback]

If your only using 20mls per 20L thats 1000 :1 and your in for some serious repair bills

200ml's per 20L

Ok firstly why would you shop around for cheap oil?

I work for an oil company, im not going to promote the brand but just be aware that price 99% of the time in the Oil market is an indicator of quality, a disc jockey promoting it and a cheap price in woolies most certainly is not!!!

Why are some brands really cheap? Well there are several main stream brands that use cheap base stocks and make an Oil to Just meet the spec, ie do just enough to get a pass, then there are some others that make oils with better quality base stocks to surpass the required specifications, building in a safety margin for you the consumer.

WHy would that be an issue, well lets say your impellor decides to split and your temp starts to get up, your over the horizon from land and your travelling home. Not like you can just pull over and call NRMA. A cheap low quality oil will break down sooner under harsh conditions than a more expensive better quality oil, since oil is what stops all those little moving parts in your engine becoming one i know which way i would lean.

Just remember a good quality Oil is cheap insurance for your outboard and you.

oh by the way Bashir, im sure i could do a good price for you on a 205L :1naughty::1naughty:

Ok firstly why would you shop around for cheap oil?

Everything you have said is all good and I suppose it makes sense, but like Ive said, I tried the exensive stuff and the cheap stuff and never saw a difference in two motors we have owned, neither had problems as a result of the type of oil I used. Our old evinrude had over 5000 hours on it when we sold it - no thats not a typo!! For most of its life, it used servo oil from wherever we may have filled up. So why wouldn't I go for cheaper. Valvoline seems to be the cheapest wherever I shop and I'm yet to hear a boatie have anything bad to say about it. :1onono: