Moreton Island, Qld

madasacutsnake

Stallo, tell your bro to fish the wrecks at Tangalooma on the Moreton Bay side of the island. You can't miss them as they are not all submerged - but a word of caution - the current runs through there sometimes on a runout tide up to about 15 knots, so with a 9.9hp he may have to be careful or he will be carried out around the top of Moreton Island fairly quickly. Moreton Bay is a dangerous waterway at the best of times and can turn VERY ugly in about 20 minutes if you are not careful - take Botany Bay and multiply by 5 . There is another spot at the southern end of Moreton Island called the Bedroom, but this is also close to the South Passage bar and has very strong currents heading out toward NZ. In this area very large Tiger sharks abound. All in all, the Moreton Bay area is not recommended for very small craft. Your brother needs to exercise a lot of care and attention with a boat of this size.

Tuffy

Guest danielinbyron

Fished it all the time as a kid .. but i had the adults concerned with all the details then..like safety etc.. Ewan picked up a report on the radio a couple of days ago which got our attention though , that the spotties were thick in moreton bay and a guy landed a monster gt 40kg on 15kg line..

On the charts there has been hot water there for a while, so he could have a ball..

In my experience they're a friendly mob the queenslanders so i'm sure if he asks he'll get the good oil when he gets there .. my understanding is that there is allot of sheltered calmer water inside the bay on the western sid of the island , but thats a vague and cloudy memory..

Slightly south of where the Tangalooma resort keep their hire boats and not more than 100m of the shore there are a couple of car bodies that were put there to attact fish.

This area has produced big snapper and other bottom fish. I caught a nice mackrell there in May.

The end of the Tangalooma wharf at night just after the big ferry leaves and the lighs go out is allive with big eye and giant trevaly.

Cheers

Guest danielinbyron

Stallo that radio report has made it to print in " bush and beach magazine december issue qld monthly",

Its all good news up there for this month by the sounds of it , with spotties on inside the bay ..articles on the above mentioned tangalooma wrecks ... and a pic of the 130cm 40kg GT caught by Ben Taylor with a little 3500 certate with spooled with 30lb braid..good effort i reckon.

Edited by danielinbyron