Battery Supply For Humminbird Fishfinder

blayne

Gday,

I have a 12ft tinny with an 8hp Suzuki pull start outboard.

I have fitted a Humminbird Fishfinder and I wanted to know what battery I can use to power it up?

The boat has no other electrical systems so this battery will be running the Fishfinder only.

I was thining a 12v motorcycle battery as they're small but how much charge will it have?

I want to try and steer clear of a car battery as there aint much room in the little tinny and it will be weighed down but if nothing else will stay charged lone enough I might have to.

The engine doesnt have an alternator either so the battery will need to be recharged after each outing.

Any suggestions?

cheers :beersmile:

Blayne

A 12 volt motorcycle battery will do the job, no probs at all.

Andrew (The Iceman) who I fish with quite regularly, has the same setup for his Humminbird in his tinnie.

As for the charge in the battery, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Andrew has needed to charge his bike battery all year.

I'm getting a Humminbird fishfinder for my canoe next week :biggrin2: and will be doing the motorcycle battery setup the same as Andrews.............too easy. :biggrin2:

Hope this helps.

Hooky

A 12 volt motorcycle battery will do the job, no probs at all.

Andrew (The Iceman) who I fish with quite regularly, has the same setup for his Humminbird in his tinnie.

As for the charge in the battery, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Andrew has needed to charge his bike battery all year.

I'm getting a Humminbird fishfinder for my canoe next week :biggrin2: and will be doing the motorcycle battery setup the same as Andrews.............too easy. :biggrin2:

Hope this helps.

Hooky

cheers hooky,

yehp that helps me out alot. i am going down to the motorcycle wreckers to get a battery now.

thanks for the swift reply,

blayne :beersmile:

My Garmin fish finder consumes around 0.15 amps so a small 7amp hour battery would give 45 hours continuous use. Since you should never totaly drain the battery you should probably only use it for say thirty hours before recharging!

Even a bigger colour sounder will probably use no more than 0.5 amps giving a useful ten hours or so battery life.

You can buy a 12v battery exactly for this purpose from most boating stores, it even comes in its own case/bag with plug in wiring and a charger for around $60

Thanks for that Mr Genius, :thumbup: I never thought of that set. :05:Bias Batteries

12 Volt, 7 Amp Hour, Sealed Rechargeable Battery Cat. 3239 BIAS Price $29.95

Convenient power source for smaller boats. Can power navigation lights, fishfinder, etc. Length 150mm, width 65mm, height 93mm. post-9-1166509343_thumb.jpg

Carry Bag & Output Lead Cat. 3240 BIAS $14.95

Suits Cat. 3239. Cloth carry bag. Female cig. ligther socket on fused 340mm lead. post-9-1166509371_thumb.jpg

Charger Cat. 3241 BIAS Price $24.95

To charge Cat. 3239 from 240V. Switches to trickle as battery nears full charge. post-9-1166509417_thumb.jpg

Ive used one of those little 7amp/hr batteries for the last seven years to power a hummingbird 100sx sounder and its never let me down I cant remember the last time I charged it which probably means I need to charge it now I charge it with my 6amp arlec charger using the automatic switch the same charger I use for my deep cycle battery which powers my electric motor

I bought a 5.7 amphour 12v rechargeable motorcycle battery for $25.

I have wired it up and now I think I am ready to go except for one thing. The instruction manual says to use a 1 amp inline fuse.

I have an inline fuse holder in the circuit but Im buggered if I can find somewhere that sells a 1amp fuse?

I have a 2 amp fuse but id rather go with what the instructions say to avoid voiding the warranty if something hapens.

Thanks for all the replies, I wouldve bought one of the battery kits that were mentioned if id have read the replies sooner today.

IMO I would go the extra bucks and buy a 17 amp/hr m/cycle battery. I used one for that purpose a few years ago and didn't have to charge for over 12 months. Any major battery supplier will have them and the cost is about $80. I still have this battery which is now used in series with my main battery but is sitting in the side pocket of my boat( tiller steer tinny, so no dashboard). I now use this for my clip on live bait pump and it also comes in very handy for attaching phone chargers etc without having to run wires to the main. Is now being charged along with the main when the motor is running.Prefect if you are on hols and don't have access to mains power for your phone.

Just a suggestion.

Tuffy