Whats This Fish?

domza

Question

10 answers to this question

thanks guys, how big do they grow?

any good as live bait or on the table?

They grow to 20cm, Dom. They may be decent as live bait - I can vaguely remember a report of a jewie caught on trumpeter (but don't quote me on it!!!). Unsure of the table qualities, but you're not going to get much meat off a 20cm fish anyway.

Flattieman.

They grow to 20cm, Dom. They may be decent as live bait - I can vaguely remember a report of a jewie caught on trumpeter (but don't quote me on it!!!). Unsure of the table qualities, but you're not going to get much meat off a 20cm fish anyway.

Flattieman.

thanks for clearing that up flattieman.

I was on a houseboat on the hawksbury last weekend. THe inbuilt front esky was converted to fishtank/livebait tank. Without a bilge pump we were relying on bucket changes to keep the water fresh. This got forgotten after a few beers... Anyway the tailor and yakkas died however the trumpeter was unstoppable lasting the two days and eventually earning its freedom!

I don't know how well defined 'Eastern' is in their name. We used to get them when I was living in WA too.

I introduced my girlfriend to them the other week, when you're trying to catch yakka's for livey's their known as 'Little stripey somethings' (but not said as nicely :1prop: )

their a different type of trumpeter in WA.

They are a little different in shape and funny enough I think they are called "Western Stripped Trumpeter"

Yes it is a trumpeter - In Adelaide they are nicknamed "shitties"

But they are a top mulloway/jewfish bait live, they really seem to annoy the mulloway,

especially if you throw them in a hole where you know the fish a sitting.

I'm not sure if they eat them, but if they are too close to the mulloway the panicked grunting

must annoy them and they swim over and crush it to shut it up. They have big spines that sticks

when they are in big fishes mouth, giving you enough time to strike.

My dad fished for Mulloway for years and they were his favourite bait ( and he caught heaps of big ones), they last all night and if you dont hook up and the end of your session you usually can unhook them from your line and throw them back

Jason

i will have to keep the next ones i catch and throw them out on the o/h combo.

They were a favorite live bait of my fathers for jews in The Rip. If he caught one it got a hook in it straight away.