namesay

Thanks Kelvin I will give that a try and let you know how I go.

I fish for squid mainly land based in shallow water so I am interested to see if the strike rate rises with the jig looking a bit more naturally presented in the shallow water.

Cheers,

Jimmy

I used to squid from the shore a long time ago especially in swansea channel. The current really races here and we used to have to add more lead on the jigs to make them sink. But the current allowed the jigs to suspend in the water column nicely...the trick was to get the weight right.

In shallow water I find that the squid are more prone to hit a jig that is higher in the water than one that is low on the bottom. The calamari squid also like a jig that sit still for ages. Normally they don't like a fast retrieve so it is in this "sitting"period that your jig must hang in the water column.

Having seen countless squid attacking jigs, I can definitely say they hit the jig when it is NOT being retrieved. I think the movement of the jig when you retrieve it attracts the squid but they definitely like the jig to be still when they attack it.

I also find that a lot of squid will follow the jig right to the boat but not strike. These squid then mill around looking at the jig. In my experience I get the jig right up to the surface and work it . This normally gets the squid to strike or cast the jig out of your direct sight and the squid will go for the jig there.

This answer is a bit detailed but I have been asked so MANY questions on squidding lately! Hope this helps. Cheers kelvin