Fishfinder Problem

Guest Big-Banana

Guest Big-Banana

Gday Fellas.

I've got a problem with my Garmin 160Blue. As soon as we go above 5 knots, the screen fills up with clutter. I can still see the bottom definition but its impossible to make out anything. As soon as you slow down its all sweet and the clutter goes away.

Would this be a transducer problem?

Gday Fellas.

I've got a problem with my Garmin 160Blue. As soon as we go above 5 knots, the screen fills up with clutter. I can still see the bottom definition but its impossible to make out anything. As soon as you slow down its all sweet and the clutter goes away.

Would this be a transducer problem?

Has it always done this? I ask as most of the time it is due to bad transducer location. If you get a lot of aerated water around the trnasducer, you'll get clutter. Just need to move it to another location by getting it deeper or shallower.

The other thing that can cause this is if you have dinged the transducer. If you have small scratches from beaching the boat and such, the scratches can make the water around the transducer turbulent enough for it to show clutter. You can adjust the clutter settings on the sounder or try to polish your transducer.

Always check your transducer angle. On my Garmin the transducer has a "click" mecahnism for the angle . Just make sure it is correct as if it goes one or 2 clicks away from ideal, the sounder performance is vastly degraded. Hope this helps

Guest Big-Banana

Thats the thing it has never done this until a few weeks ago. Ill give moving it a few positions and use a bit of trial and error to get it right. Thanks mate! :thumbup: