Daiwa Freeams J 4500

Dezmo

Hi Guys,

I am considering purchase of this reel as a christmas present for myself... I wish to run 30-50lb braid on it and want it to fill a gap in my gear between lever drag overheads on strokers and 4000 series reel with 20lb braid (which i have been well dusted on by kings).

SPECS:

Ratio : 4.9

Weight : 470g

Max Drag : 9kg

Line : PE(braid)30lb-400m

BB : 4/1

I hope that it could be used as a general livebait, troll, spin, jig (probably in that order of use) oufit my boat matched with a fairly gutsy approx 6 1/2' rod.

I suppose my questions are:

1) Do you think this reel will cope with fishing 50lb braid hardish (i suppose mostly on kings) or am i asking too much of it?

2) I have heard it is the same or very similar to the capricorn 4500J- does anyone know?

3) Any other better valued reels (this one can be bought from Japan for less than $120 incl delivery)?

4) Do you think i need to bite the bullet and spend more or up to a larger size spin reel?

Appreciate your thoughts...

• 3 weeks later...

I have one, it appears very well built. First impressions I would rate it above a stradic in build quality, but I will have to see if it lasts the distance. I believe its only really rated for 30 to 40 lb. Good handle and the drag feels good. It has a solid reel foot and is smooth to crank over. Caught some salmon on it so far and some rats. Handled that no worries. Is pretty crap for casting but its a jigging reel with a narrow spool so you get that.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by lighthouse2k

3) Any other better valued reels (this one can be bought from Japan for less than $120 incl delivery)?

ah, good old Ginrinpeche! how does he do it? :1prop:

my only concern with the Freams is that it does not have CRBBs, which the Capricorn 4500J does. otherwise, they are very similar reels, but for reasons known only to Daiwa Australia, you'd pay over twice as much for the Capricorn.

for 50lb braid, you'd probably be best served with a Daiwa Saltist / Saltiga Blast or beefed up Shimano Spheros.

alternatively, i have just taken delivery of a Twinpower 8000HG from Ginrin. just over $300 landed (gotta love the strong Aussie $), and it is a beauty. not all that far off from the Stella, for a third the price.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.. I think i was dreaming a bit with 50lb braid... 30-40 will probably do it i reckon..

Your spot on with the website too... but i didnt post it!

What are the CRBB- are they corrosion resistant bearings? How important do you think they are?

I have looked at the twinpower also and thought it looked a pretty good for the money.

ah, good old Ginrinpeche! how does he do it? :1prop:

my only concern with the Freams is that it does not have CRBBs, which the Capricorn 4500J does. otherwise, they are very similar reels, but for reasons known only to Daiwa Australia, you'd pay over twice as much for the Capricorn.

for 50lb braid, you'd probably be best served with a Daiwa Saltist / Saltiga Blast or beefed up Shimano Spheros.

alternatively, i have just taken delivery of a Twinpower 8000HG from Ginrin. just over $300 landed (gotta love the strong Aussie $), and it is a beauty. not all that far off from the Stella, for a third the price.

:074::074::074: I think every raider knows good old Ginrin. I will never look anywhere again. Period.

I reckon you gotta go the saltist or Blast. As red said much better power than the Cap 4500J lacks. Not sure about he twin Power but.

:074::074::074: I think every raider knows good old Ginrin. I will never look anywhere again. Period.

I reckon you gotta go the saltist or Blast. As red said much better power than the Cap 4500J lacks. Not sure about he twin Power but.

Haven't used my Twinpower yet, but it will be blooded (with any luck) when I go out this Friday fishing for kingies on a charter with namesay's mentor. Planning to spool it with 30lb and 50lb braid. Will let you know how it performs.