Guides For Custom Rod

Rick T

G'day fellas

I am looking at having a custom spin rod made with rod weight a real issue. I would like the rod as light as possible. Does anyone know where I can find specific guide weights on the net. So far I have heard many different opinions regarding the weight comparison of fuji alconites to titanium framed SiC guides. The gold cermets r 2 expensive but another thing I have noticed is the top line Loomis rods r starting to use these REC titanium recoil guides which r light as a feather. Has anyone used these guides, to me they look a bit tacky but probably cause I am not used to them. They do bring the rod weight down dramatically though.

REC guides

Edited by Rick T

Swoff', aren't all good quality rods underbound these days, no matter what the guides?

Hey Rich, I reckon the answers in the question. The titanium wire guides bend so easily there's probably little or no pressure put on the blank. The new guides obviously have a lot of advantages over standard guides so it will be interesting to see if they catch on.

Joe

Edited by Pukka

Not all quality rods are under bound these days, but being under bound or not would make very little difference to the overall weight of a rod.

If you choose not to underbind, you need to make sure that when you grind your guide feet down, there are no sharp edges or burrs left on them. Graphite and these edges don't mix.

I'll normally run guide feet over an old stocking a few times to make sure nothing catches before binding them onto a blank.

Which blank are you looking to build on Rick ?? You may be able to shop around for a lighter blank as opposed to lighter guides if you haven't already got a blank in mind.

Well there you go.

I assumed underbinding would be standard practice on quality rods in order to protect the blank, you learn something new everyday.. as the ol'cliche goes :)

Thanks for that Billy, although I won't be breaking out the stockings just yet mate :D

Joe

G'day Billy

I was hoping to get built on an IMX SJ783 blank billy so don't think there are many lighter options in the 8-15lb range. Unfortunately it is looking 2 pricey overall, I can get an off the shelf GLX in the same range with the REC guides for around the same price as getting the IMX built with ti Sic's. I was a bit skeptical of their toughness for throwing big sluggos but Freddy from GLoomis assured me they have been thouroughly tested up to 7kg of pulling power whilst weighing around 80-90g. I saw a write up in the new barra n bass that I will have to read aswell.

Bassifier

like any spring the energy is stored in it and released when they relax.

my issues with rec guides at this early stage is what happens at the ankle( the bend between foot and leg) when they flex. That little hard nugget bending backwards and forwards over my nice thin blank would have me worried. Also the increased sensitivity claim is just marketing. springs dampen feel and sensitivity not increase it. Id also consider the guide angle deviation under load on these guides they would have to throw your line curve out to billy o when loaded up. They would be excellent weight reducers though as theres next to nothing in them

Regards underbinds single footed guides dont need underbinding as the blank flex across the foot print isnt big enough. As billy said if its properly ground and epoxied you wont have any issues with single footed guides damaging blanks. We both have enough sticks out there still going strong to prove this theory.

Double footed guides are a different story as they are bound at 2 spots making them far more rigid and having a much wider foot print the blank flex under the guide is much greater thus greater potential for damage at either toe.

In the case of ricks rod I wouldnt underbind the single footed guides for the above reason and even though its only a gram or two difference its still tip weighting which is something Rick is trying to avoid as much as possible

Edited by allen glover