Bag Of Fish From Cowan Ck

Guest johblow

Guest johblow

Had a great boxing day with a friend of mine and his missus, and my missus. We started out at Jerusalem Bay with some frozen yabbies (from a previous trip) mid afternoon, so there was still quite a bit of water around. My mate pulled in a flattie there, and while we were getting our bait taken constantly, it was mostly small whiting and reddies.

So we moved on, pumped some yabbies at another place, and then headed over to a spot that is becoming a favourite. To my delight, my mates wife had no issues putting a hook up a yabbies arse, so she was very easy to keep amused for the afternoon. In fact she did the best out of us all. We caught two thumper bream, one of which i caught, and was sure it was a juvenille jew, it pulled so hard for so long at first. I was very happy to see that it was a bream in the end!

So we ended up with 2 bream, 4 whiting, 1 flounder & 1 flattie.

Tailor we going off in places too, breaking up the water, and the jellies were out in force! Was trying to hit them with the outboard, with little luck. Sea eagles were also on the prowl everywhere - including some juveniles.

ATB was packes mid arvo, but being in a tinnie, we piled everyone in on the ramp :thumbup: and avoided the wait. That pontoon needs a dedicated "pick up/drop off area", where people cant tie up. On the end may work. It was easy enough to wait my turn to put the boat in at the ramp, but there was no way i could get over to the pontoon to pick up the crowd.

Oh yeah and i forgot to mention that we ate the bream shasimi, with wasabi and soy, and chilli paste. Yum!!! Better than you get in the shops by a mile!!! Bream kicks salmons arse bigtime :-)

Edited by johblow

sounds like a pretty good day out..

were you just using yabbies?

i definatly agree on the boat ramp.. i generally dont need to tie up to it, just drop off/pick up mates when im getting the boat in or out... the end should be kept free and a time limit of a couple of mintues tp pick up people.. ive waited out for 10-15 mins while the guy who takes his boat out once a year stuffs around.. anyway good work on the fishing...

Guest johblow

Thanks for the positive feedback on that idea fellas. Matty you said exactly what i was trying to say. Who knows if an idea like that can ever take hold? Im not sure whos jurisdiction that is...

Yep, we were using yabbies. Ive been exploring all options for yabbie pumping of late, as i used to just go to Jerusalem Bay, and before that Refuge Bay. But they are both rather inconvenient unless you are fishing close nearby. Ive since found that Yeomans Bay has a really healthy and more convenient supply, and they are a more suitable size and colour too. JB ones are big and white often, but YB ones are red and hook size :-)

I also have another spot up my sleeve that is OK even near high tide, but has a limited number of holes, very easy to get too and very accessible. Great for us but not the yabbies. I dont use it unless im desperate.