Striped Marlin Are Near By...

rkessner

G'Day all...

Kamil, Aqua and myself started our day by having the boat in the water at Botany at 4:30 this morning. After getting to the shelf shortly after the sun came up, we decided to troll to Southern Canyons. On the way we spotted some bait schools with birds and dolphins working the schools, so we decided to run with the school for awhile. As our lures swung into the school, "smack" we got hit by a striped tuna. After landing the stripey, we continued on running through the school a bit more until we lost sight of it.

At this time the water temp was reading 23.9. We continued our course to the canyons with no further luck. After trolling around the canyons a bit, we changed our course to a spot I know 10km. south of Browns from the canyons. On the way there, we seen some acrobatics on the water with two nice dolphinfish jumping through the air. As the rear dolphinfish broke water, it was good-bye as a striped marlin found himself a morning meal. Of course, we had to work that area a bit to see what we might get, but no luck here so on we went. When we found the current, the water temp took a dive down to 23.3 and remained there for the rest of our trip towards Browns Mountain. Nothing was happening at this spot so we turned the boat around and started heading back towards the canyons again.

On the way back we ran into Brett/TunOFun and Steve/Outwide. We trolled together for awhile until we got a few miles past Southern Canyons, then we decided to go back to the spot where we seen the bait schools earlier in the day.

After finding the current and riding it to around the 40 fathom mark 8 miles out from Botany, one of our lines started screaming. Then it stopped and then the shotgun started screaming. I harnessed up and grabbed the rod while Kamil drove the boat and Aqua brought in the lines. The marlin was every bit of nearly 60kg. and stubborn as they come. I got him boat side four times, but he wasn't about ready to give up. Every time the double got on the reel, he would go for another dive. Kamil worked the boat well, keeping the marlin at a 45 degree angle to the boat at all times. Aqua was busy with his vidio cam making a movie while I was doing my best trying to get this fish to the boat in gaff range. After he took his forth dive and he was about 20 meters under the boat, he spit the hook and the line went dead!!! No sashimi tonight. Guess this stiped marlin will live to fight another day...

This was my first fight with a marlin, so I am quite stoked. I have done well this year on the yellowfin, but you can't compare the fight between the two. Maybe better luck next time.

We worked this area for another couple of hours with no luck, so we called it a day.

Good job Kamil and Aqua.

Rick

"Yankee Doodle"

Hi Rick

We were out today, call sign was angela, did not realiseu were a fishraider will have to say hi next time.

We left the heads at 7am, went to the BB Wide Fad, dropped 2 nice dollys went very quite,

Out to the shelf nearly to Browns for nothing, no bait. Having gone to the Canyons last week we decided to go very Nth, up to the Bait Station of Broken Bay, saw lots of pods of poliot whales and dolphins, not a sign of working birds or biat.

Tried the Broken Bay FAD nothing there or on the traps, so a long punt home.

We had a cpl of lives still kicking so stopped @ Blue Fish and scored a cpl of 90cm kinggs which brought some smiles back ;)

Mate great work raising a fish, well done to get him boat side on your first ;) good luck in the coming wks for some more.

Jon

G'Day all...

Kamil, Aqua and myself started our day by having the boat in the water at Botany at 4:30 this morning. After getting to the shelf shortly after the sun came up, we decided to troll to Southern Canyons. On the way we spotted some bait schools with birds and dolphins working the schools, so we decided to run with the school for awhile. As our lures swung into the school, "smack" we got hit by a striped tuna. After landing the stripey, we continued on running through the school a bit more until we lost sight of it.

At this time the water temp was reading 23.9. We continued our course to the canyons with no further luck. After trolling around the canyons a bit, we changed our course to a spot I know 10km. south of Browns from the canyons. On the way there, we seen some acrobatics on the water with two nice dolphinfish jumping through the air. As the rear dolphinfish broke water, it was good-bye as a striped marlin found himself a morning meal. Of course, we had to work that area a bit to see what we might get, but no luck here so on we went. When we found the current, the water temp took a dive down to 23.3 and remained there for the rest of our trip towards Browns Mountain. Nothing was happening at this spot so we turned the boat around and started heading back towards the canyons again.

On the way back we ran into Brett/TunOFun and Steve/Outwide. We trolled together for awhile until we got a few miles past Southern Canyons, then we decided to go back to the spot where we seen the bait schools earlier in the day.

After finding the current and riding it to around the 40 fathom mark 8 miles out from Botany, one of our lines started screaming. Then it stopped and then the shotgun started screaming. I harnessed up and grabbed the rod while Kamil drove the boat and Aqua brought in the lines. The marlin was every bit of nearly 60kg. and stubborn as they come. I got him boat side four times, but he wasn't about ready to give up. Every time the double got on the reel, he would go for another dive. Kamil worked the boat well, keeping the marlin at a 45 degree angle to the boat at all times. Aqua was busy with his vidio cam making a movie while I was doing my best trying to get this fish to the boat in gaff range. After he took his forth dive and he was about 20 meters under the boat, he spit the hook and the line went dead!!! No sashimi tonight. Guess this stiped marlin will live to fight another day...

This was my first fight with a marlin, so I am quite stoked. I have done well this year on the yellowfin, but you can't compare the fight between the two. Maybe better luck next time.

We worked this area for another couple of hours with no luck, so we called it a day.

Good job Kamil and Aqua.

Rick

"Yankee Doodle"

Jon,

Good going on your dolphinfish and kingys. Those are nice sized kingys compared to alot of the rats that are around. I bet you went home with a smile after that. I think I heard your name over the radio today. Next time I will say hi.

Cheers Mate...

Rick

Hi guys,

I pretty much did the same thing, i saw angela at the wide fade ( soz guys didnt reliase we were all raiders otherwise i also would have said a hello)..my call sign is Assassin.

All we saw at the wide FAD was what looked to be a huge sun fish,,,NOTHING ELSE ..other than yakka sized kings.

We trolled towards Browns looking for that ellusive 23 degree water ..... not much luck...so turned and headed for Wedding Cake Island.

When we arrived there was no shortage of Kings landed 14 kings ranging in size from 55cm to 65cm, only kept the 65 for a feed.

However when i was bringing up a king a shark or what i thought was a Shark which was around 1.5 metre mark grabbed him..and somehow hooked it aswell..I was using a double hook rig with squid so i think the tow hook on the squid jagged the predator. Ive done some researching tonight and it seems it was a large Cobia not a shark....Ive never seen or caught a Cobia before. Very Shark like looking. :wacko:

That was fun for a whole couple of minutes, we got him up to the surface..then he decided he didnt want to play anymore wrapped me around the outboard leg. :mad3: .

Anyway was a fun day... :yahoo:

:thumbup:

I buggered something up with my post....... :05:

BTW WD Yankee,, :1clap:

Edited by Assassin

Guest Reel Addiction (Sea Jay)

Well done was great to actually see you hooked up to a fish and hopefully wont be to long before your connected to another beast.

Cheers

Iain

Hiya Kabz

Mate Bluefish is just around the nth tip of the North Head wall, the fishable area runs from the nth tip all the way over to the Ferry Bower point. Good area for live baiting, on the slow troll or sound up a patchof balled up bait. Drop on and hang on. Seriously most of our baits were around bait and in the water less than 2 mins

Jon

where abouts is bluefish