Sticky Starter Motor

Guest johblow

Guest johblow

Gidday,

The starter motor on my little 25 is sticking from time to time - the more i use it, the less it sticks. Sometimes its like a tortise head, and just doesnt want to come out, though it spins fine. To get it to come out, i take off the lid, and give the top of the motor shaft a bash with a knife handle, and that fixes it every time.

Any ideas - id like to fix it myself if its not complex. Any chance that it could be a bad contact somewhere?

It hasnt had a service in two years, and im just wondering if i should get the bugger serviced. What do they do aside from lubrication, and how much does it cost? i assume they check the impeller out and stuff like that?

Does anyone service their own motors? Im not proposing that i would, but am interested to know.

Are you talking about the bendix gear on the end of the starter motor shaft? It sounds like a dry shaft could be the problem. DO NOT USE WD40 on the gear , it gets into places inside the gear where it shouldnt go , and can cause total failure. A light smear of grease on the shaft should see it spin up properly.

A full service should include :

Plugs

Carb setup and tune ( if fitted)

Gearbox oil

Water pump impeller

Water pump housing ( inspect and replace as required)

Alternator output

Lube throttle cables

Check remote throttle control ( handpiece , cables , reverser cables)

Battery condition ( electrolyte levels , dead cells , terminals etc )

Check for oil / water leaks

Propellor condition , tension on retaining nut , split pin

Battery cable connections

Ross

Edited by Flightmanager