New To Kingfishing Sydney

domza

With the current weather reports being so bad, it will be impossible for me to fish botany bay. So i will have to go to sydney harbour.

Ive only been on the harbour less then 5 times by boat and I really want to get stuck into some kings (even if there rats!!!)

At this stage i will be launching at roseville but i might consider rosebay.

ok- so basically where do i start? After reading countless reports by namesay i think i need some fresh squid which is out of the question for me(never squided, only have cheap jigs and don't know ANY spots...)

I can get yakka's no problems and i have a nice live bait tank. should i anchor near the spit bridge (during the day) and send out a few yakkas? is this effective (anchoring for kings?)

besides live yakka's will freshly bought bottle squid work? or which other baits work?

and besides the spit where else can i get them?(i have no downrigger). I have tried the wedding cakes and clifton last year with no luck at all- should i be going back there?

any help would be appreciated. I usually fish botany bay 90% of the time thats why i have no idea about sydney harbour..

Hi Domza

As u note with out squid inside the harbour your chances are reduced, not zero, but alot alot lower.

However if the day is ok then both Nth and Sth headlands and along both the cliff faces u will find balls of bait and sending a yakka down there is a good chance at a fish.

Inside u really need squid or a good soft plastic action to entice the fish up.

Jon

With the current weather reports being so bad, it will be impossible for me to fish botany bay. So i will have to go to sydney harbour.

Ive only been on the harbour less then 5 times by boat and I really want to get stuck into some kings (even if there rats!!!)

At this stage i will be launching at roseville but i might consider rosebay.

ok- so basically where do i start? After reading countless reports by namesay i think i need some fresh squid which is out of the question for me(never squided, only have cheap jigs and don't know ANY spots...)

I can get yakka's no problems and i have a nice live bait tank. should i anchor near the spit bridge (during the day) and send out a few yakkas? is this effective (anchoring for kings?)

besides live yakka's will freshly bought bottle squid work? or which other baits work?

and besides the spit where else can i get them?(i have no downrigger). I have tried the wedding cakes and clifton last year with no luck at all- should i be going back there?

any help would be appreciated. I usually fish botany bay 90% of the time thats why i have no idea about sydney harbour..

As Jon has noted if you are new then the headlands are the best places to start. Yakkas and other livies will all work outside. North head was firing this morning. Got 20+ fish in the morning on poppers and sluggos. But if you fishing inside the harbour then squid is about the only bait that will score consistently.

Bought squid will not work so good. Got to catch them otherwise a waste of time and money. BUt I have been hearing from penguin and others that prawns work.

Syd harbour has a LOT of structure so there are heaps of places to try out of the wind etc. Can anchor, drift, moor or downrig. All methods work but downrigging covers a lot more ground. The trick with harbour kings is to

1) use squid

2) cover a lot of ground

3) fish the whole water column

Places worth trying for a new comer are the wedding cakes, cliftongardens, all the buoys and channel markers and middle harbour. Fisher bay and seaforth are popular anchored spots but without squid your chances are very slim!

Lately there has been a lot of surface activity from kings but you have to be early to catch them on the surface. Middle harbour, the main harbour and the headlands have all had surface activity in the last few days so be at the ramp before sun up .Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Mate you cant go wrong at the any of the headlands, everytime i'm out there i always pull fish from there. I've found that south head holds a much bigger school however the average fish is 55cm. At north, they are more sporadic and there tends to be a few of the bigger models in the school but i am yet to hook a hoodlum from there. And the bonus of getting fish from the headlands are that you can get them on squid strips saving you the trouble of catching them live.

DAN