Tuggerah Lake, The Entrance.

Lewis

G,day Raiders.

The family and I will be heading up to the Entrance Wednesday the 3rd, staying at The Two Shores Caravan Park fo seven days.

We have never stayed at the Entrance before and I was just wondering how the lake was fishing, prawning and crabing, is the lake shallow and needed to be navigated with great care or is it reasonable deep, may be get the heads up on which ramp or ramps would be the better to launch from and the safest ramp to launch if I was wanting to go outside.

I just want to take the kids out a few times while we're away and catch a few flatties, whiting and bream, and perhaps get outside to see whats around. I want to show the kids the pleasures of prawning and may be pick up some crabs while we are there, so any local tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again in advance.

P.S. If any locals would like to meet up to say hello to a fellow member, send me a PM to organise.

how the lake was fishing, prawning and crabing, is the lake shallow and needed to be navigated with great care or is it reasonable deep, may be get the heads up on which ramp or ramps would be the better to launch from and the safest ramp to launch if I was wanting to go outside.

I just want to take the kids out a few times while we're away and catch a few flatties, whiting and bream, and perhaps get outside to see whats around. I want to show the kids the pleasures of prawning and may be pick up some crabs while we are there, so any local tips would be greatly appreciated.

Lewis, although I'm not a local, I've been fishing the Entrance quite regularly for over ten years. Last time I fished the Entrance (before Christmas - see this report: http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...howtopic=16282) the flatties and whiting were fairly plentiful throughout all of the main channels of the Entrance - not many people fish any of the wider expanses of Tuggerah Lake anyway.

Your best bet is to fish the North, South or Main Channel with quality bait and SPs - I prefer worms, nippers, poddy mullet and squidgies. Whiting prefer worms and nippers, whereas flatties love poddy mullet and SPs, but will still eat nippers. You can always try some prawns for some bream and the odd whiting.

There are two main ramps for fishing the Entrance - one at North Entrance and the other at The Entrance proper, the latter being the larger ramp with more parking and better facilities. Tuggerah lake is a very shallow, sandy system on the whole, and it remains so all the way to the mouth - exiting the lake via the mouth at The Entrance is definitely not advisable. For offshore fishing, two ramps are located at Norah Head and Terrigal Haven respectively.

Crabbing in the lake is only permitted West of the Western tip of Pelican Island - so the most western extremities of the North and South Channels are most popular for crabbing. At this time of year, you're likely to catch a few blue swimmers, but I'm unsure of the current action.

For prawning, this is normally conducted in the Main and North Channels, from around of the bridge East. There is some good landbased prawning to be experienced - normally off the jetty in the North Channel, but I'm sure that there's wading options too. Several boats also take advantage of the prawn run. I'm not sure whether they're running as we speak and in what quantities, but the staff at Baits R Us (at The Entrance) or Chuck's Pro Tacke (at Long Jetty) would definitely know.

Enjoy your time on the Coast,

Flattieman.

Thanks guy's

I cant wait to get away and just relax with the wife and kids for a while.

I will definately be giving the SPs a go and have a new pump to test on the nippers, I suppose any of the tidal flats around the channels will hold nippers. I also look forward to tasting the local prawns.

I will only be venturing outside if the weather is very good. as I dont know the area well.

Cheers, Lewis.

Just a tip Lewis,

The Entrance is having a huge problem at the moment regarding fishing licences as no one is selling them.

So make sure that anyone fishing with you gets their licence before heading to The Entrance.

You can even get them on-line before you go.

the moon is wrong for prawans at this time

,the moon is right for tailor find a spot on the lake side of the bridge in the Chanel ,try and get the wind and tide to run the same way,find a spoot away from to much boat trafic,bearly hard .

fish hole pilles back in the trail (dont use a float ) let it run back in the current and hang on )you should be able to get a good feed of big tailor .

we normally use a 5120 and 6 1/2 inch alvey

i do mean bearly hard keep it going in fish in the 3kgs will show up .last year my best bag went 38 kgs ,

fish sunrise or fish in to the dark .

at the same time keep a prawn bait going on the bottom you will get bream ,whiting ,and flatties

Leigh

hey there fellow :1fishing1:

im also staying up there at the moment, well im in sydney until 2morrow then il be heading back up there for 10 more days, but boatless until next wednesday, ive talked to a few of the locals up there who tell me that there is a lot happening outside at the moment, and when i come back to sydney on tuesday and then head back up wednesday night il have my boat with me so il try outside and hopefully get a few nice ones