Hooks For Soft Plastics

squidboy

hi Raiders,

Im a good fisherman with bait but after reading all your posts I think its time for change. Was wondering who could help me in selecting a hook for my SP. I have 3" inch gulp pumpkin seed plastics. Does anyone know the correct hook size for them?

Anyway, hopeing to hit the hawksbury soon to try this method. ope its like squid jigging!!!

hi Raiders,

Im a good fisherman with bait but after reading all your posts I think its time for change. Was wondering who could help me in selecting a hook for my SP. I have 3" inch gulp pumpkin seed plastics. Does anyone know the correct hook size for them?

Anyway, hopeing to hit the hawksbury soon to try this method. ope its like squid jigging!!!

Which 3" pseed u've had there? Generally I'd use size 2 hook for the jigheads. Just had to make sure the hook comes out from the "chunky" part of the body be it a grub or minnow. Hope this helps.

It all depends on what type of structure you are fishing, and offcourse the species your targeting. If your fishing sand/mud flats then you can get away with a light wire hook, however if your fishing heavy snag country such as racks and the like, you should be using heavy wire hooks. When using gulps or bassminnows i tend to use squidgy round head 1.5grm #4 hooks on most occasions. The reason for such a small hook is that as you increase the size of the hook, it reduces the action of the soft plastic grub. (only slightly)

However when im targeting bigger fish ill use a #2 hook with a 2-3grm jighead and fish it deep. The only time i switch to a heavy wire hook is when im fishing racks or when im targeting pelagics where every bit of extra strength is needed in the hook. Squidgy finesse heads in the bottom sizes are perfect for these applications.

What fish are you targeting?

DAN

It all depends on what type of structure you are fishing, and offcourse the species your targeting. If your fishing sand/mud flats then you can get away with a light wire hook, however if your fishing heavy snag country such as racks and the like, you should be using heavy wire hooks. When using gulps or bassminnows i tend to use squidgy round head 1.5grm #4 hooks on most occasions. The reason for such a small hook is that as you increase the size of the hook, it reduces the action of the soft plastic grub. (only slightly)

However when im targeting bigger fish ill use a #2 hook with a 2-3grm jighead and fish it deep. The only time i switch to a heavy wire hook is when im fishing racks or when im targeting pelagics where every bit of extra strength is needed in the hook. Squidgy finesse heads in the bottom sizes are perfect for these applications.

DAN

good respone there. One day i'll give the SPs and real try.

Which 3" pseed u've had there? Generally I'd use size 2 hook for the jigheads. Just had to make sure the hook comes out from the "chunky" part of the body be it a grub or minnow. Hope this helps.

Ronald, Thanks for the advice. I have a Gulp 3 Inch Minnow Grub if that helps. I know how to hook them but wasnt sure about the hook. Will head down to Ottos tomorrow as I live neat HC bay myself. Ill try them on the HB hopefully soon :)

Thanks for the advice!!!! Saw a bloke at abbotsford try it and landed a flathead, now Im keen on learning :)

DAN

Hi Dan,

I would like to target Bream and Flathead to begin with then move onto Kings or Salmon. But Im not sure if me trying to catch bream and flathead is the equivilant of catching a fish and a cold :)

Im trying these pumpkin head lures in the hawesbury system near possible oyster areas or for trial purposes chisick area. Thanks also for the advice it is much appreciated that people out there help. Go stuff raiders :yahoo:

Mate you cant go wrong with 3" berkley bass minnows OR 2" bulky hawgs if you can still find them in stores. Catching bream and flathead is easy on plastics and depending on how seriously addicted you get, there are many bream and flathead tournaments to follow. If the area you are fishing is saturated with oysters then make sure you up your leader to at least 10-12lbs and lock that drag up as the fish will bust you up real quick! If you are fishing any other area or one that doesnt have that many oysters, then dont fish above 6lb leader as every extra pound of leader affects the lure's action.

DAN

Mate you cant go wrong with 3" berkley bass minnows OR 2" bulky hawgs if you can still find them in stores. Catching bream and flathead is easy on plastics and depending on how seriously addicted you get, there are many bream and flathead tournaments to follow. If the area you are fishing is saturated with oysters then make sure you up your leader to at least 10-12lbs and lock that drag up as the fish will bust you up real quick! If you are fishing any other area or one that doesnt have that many oysters, then dont fish above 6lb leader as every extra pound of leader affects the lure's action.

DAN

Thanks Dan. the areas I fish have oyster beds and also sand flats. I usually get busted off heaps by Bream using chicken, but i think SP's is the cleanest way to fish :)

Squidboy,

If you are using GULP you will need a good supply. they are deadly, but the fish willl demolish them in no time. I used the "NEW PENNY SHRIMP" recently and went through a packet in no time. I did however catch at least a dozen flatties + various other scallywag spacies.

davo