All The Talk About Nepean Bass....

Hi guys

After reading many reports about bass being caught i had to have a go. My flat mate and i headed down to the nepean this morning around 5.30 trying to score our first ever bass.

The rivers beauty really surprised me and starting reminding me of some of the contry at home.

Driving to our spot i could see bass taking insects off the surface. So we tied on our surface gear and instantly had hits. Suface lures are really addictive, every cast just waiting for it to get hit. Most fish were caught only seconds after the lure hit the water which surprised me. The fish we caught were not of any size but there were plenty of them, but it was fun catching a new species. As the sun rose our fishing slowed and only caught 1 fish on a jackell copy.

I struggeled with the sub surface fishing as there was alot of weed in the river. Any tips on improving this? I could only retrieve the lure a meter or so before weed fouled my lure. It would be good to know how other guys do it.

Any way my first bass expedition was very enjoyable and will be out there again for sure.

Cheers

Attached are some pics of our first bass.

post-2194-1168153190_thumb.jpg

The weedless plastics really did make a difference but i didn't get a hit on them all day, not even a touch. One thing i forgot to ask was whats the go with all the gold fish in the nepean? We saw probably 10 during the day amongst the weed. I though that that was strange

Cheers

Guest claudia

Hey Bro,

Seen you this morning, we were in the little cruise craft.

Mate we had a ball, first time fishin for em cant wait to get back

Hi Roy

how did you go this morning?

Hope you had a good day

cheers

claudia

Have always thought a day up the nepean was a great way to spend a day, especially with a couple of fish to boot.

We are planning a trip up the narrows on wednesday. Any general suggestions about the performing lures. Am planning the usual combination of fizzers and spinner baits, any suggestions about colours.

gday fellas,

ive been out a couple of times further downstream and got nothing!

i keep hearing people fishing past the narrows and the gorge, where are the narrows and the gorge?

if i put my boat in at the ramp there just off the m4 which direction do i head?

left or right from the ramp ? (upstream or downstream)?

im keen to get amoungst the bass but just cant seem to score my first one.

cheers,

blayne

gday fellas,

i keep hearing people fishing past the narrows and the gorge, where are the narrows and the gorge?

if i put my boat in at the ramp there just off the m4 which direction do i head?

cheers,

blayne

I have only been the one time but i went left at the M4 and head past the narrow section with the markers. From there i headed with the eletric along the let hand side. There are a lot of trees, rocks and snaggy country to through a lure at. Mornings and Afternoons are the best.

Cheers

gday fellas,

cheers,

blayne

Just like NATG said, just head under the M4, past the Belle & where the speed boats play & you will see the narrows - then just pick a spot and start casting.

Let us know next time you head out, maybe able to meet you down the ramp & we can get out together.

ok yeah im looking on the map as we speak.

I put the boat in then go upstream under the M4 bridge and keep going a bit of a distance.

Then I can see where Glenbrook Runs in to the right.

Keep going past that and the river tightens right up, so I take it this is the narrows?

And what times is the ramp open there? I heard that it opens at sunrise and closes at sunset from the Council?

Is there a speed limit up there so the knobs in the ski and speed boats cant go screaming through?

Up near south creek the speed limit is 8 knots in some parts which keep the D!CKHEADS away!

Cheers for the help, ive got a bit of an idea now i think,

Blayne

Edited by blayne