Dads Corner/wisemans Ferry Jewfish...

plankton

Hi guys,

New to this site and hoping to make an impression with the capture of a decent Jew this weekend at dads corner near wisemans ferry, in upper reaches of Hawkesbury River.

Can anyone tell me if they are still caught as frequently there as what they used to?

I'll be using live prawns and butterflied baits of herring and mullett - does this sound alright to anyone else who fishes the area often. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

Some friends and I have fished Wisemens Ferry b4, when I first started fishing actually :1prop: I havent caught any jews there but my friends have, only smallish sub 3kg ones. This spot is opposite a caravan park , just down from the ferry crossing.

We've caught a heap of good to great sized bream on the dropping to bottom of the tide though, on bloodworm and nippers. This was a couple of years back so I dont know if its still good fishing there.

Matt

Crazedfisherdude - Spot on (don't great minds think alike) I'll be hoping to post a photo of a big summer-time Jewie for you all.

Matrix - I think the spot you are referring too where you got the Bream was down the Mcdonald (a tributary of the Hawkesbury) close to the Webbs Creek Ferry. It's one of the more popular fishing spots in the area, opposite a caravan park.

Thanks for the warm welcome lads. Stay posted for some pics soon

Brett

How do u catch live prawns to use as live bait..... do u do it at night??? and then fish for jewies at night???? also how do u keep live bait caught alive at a house? can it be done for overnight??

can u catch yakka's early morning in pittwater?? want to catch a jewie!!!!!!

Henryinnnis

You catch prawns using a net and light, usually at night in lagoons and rivers. It can be difficult, and I have found that time and effort used to catch a kg or 2, usually has you eating them yourself...

keeping prawns alive isn't hard. There 'hardy' and can be kept alive in a bucket for a good while, but if you want to keep them alive for a day or two them an aerator and frequent water changes are required.

Keeping a prawn alive at home is the same as keeping a prawn alive anywhere else - but if you live a fair distance from the coast water changes can be difficult. I kept prawns alive in a fishtank for a few months once. They tasted like crap when I finally ate them.

I have family who work on the river and catch prawns for a living - 70kg in a day is considered average so there is always plenty to use for bait!

Well fellas I fished Dad's corner on the weekend jsut passed and besides the two massive bust offs a guy next to me experienced using live prawns, and the half dozen schoolies he caught nothing much ws happening. I rate this spot highly and will be back soon to try my luck as it is 63 feet deep!

I fished moresoe down river for 10 soapie Jews (even at that size they fight well!) on mud crab (lost another thumper at the boat), a small Falttie and a good Bream.

I will post the photo's for you soon, although they arn't all that special.

Edited by plankton

• 2 weeks later...

hi plankton, welcom to fish raider!

i was delivering some goodies to spencer store last week, over heard customer saying the jews were on and braging that he caught one bigger than the store keepers most recent, maybe if you pop into the store they might be able to fill you in!

:thumbup:

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I was doing a search on Wisemans Ferry and found this. Most of the tips on fishing at Wisemans Ferry I have found tend to relate to areas below the ferry, which is a fair way down from where I recently purchased a van at Carinya Ski Ranch (due to friends there), opposite Del Rio. I have been landbased lately but will soon have my 10ft punt and 6hp outboard back on the water. As this rig is not particularly fast, I am more interested in the area closer to my van, say, McDonald River and Webbs Creek to Dad's Corner. For those who wanted to know where Dad's Corner is, head upstream from Del Rio Caravan Park, go around 2 or 3 bends, you will see "Dad's Corner" painted on a rockface on your right. It does look deep up there and I'm keen to fish it.

Any tips from the upper Hawkesbury experts?

Thanks,

Baz

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I was doing a search on Wisemans Ferry and found this. Most of the tips on fishing at Wisemans Ferry I have found tend to relate to areas below the ferry, which is a fair way down from where I recently purchased a van at Carinya Ski Ranch (due to friends there), opposite Del Rio. I have been landbased lately but will soon have my 10ft punt and 6hp outboard back on the water. As this rig is not particularly fast, I am more interested in the area closer to my van, say, McDonald River and Webbs Creek to Dad's Corner. For those who wanted to know where Dad's Corner is, head upstream from Del Rio Caravan Park, go around 2 or 3 bends, you will see "Dad's Corner" painted on a rockface on your right. It does look deep up there and I'm keen to fish it.

Any tips from the upper Hawkesbury experts?

Thanks,

Baz

Hi Baz,

When you fish Dads Corner do the drift from the beach to the cave 1/2 hour either side of the tide for bream on peeled hawkesbury prawns. Theres plenty of under size ones & mega size eel's :1badmood: but there is also some great bream around the 1kg mark to be had. :beersmile: I landed 1 that went 1.35kg 2weeks ago & about 20 undersize ones but the 1 bruiser was worth the effort. :1prop:

Regards Jeff