Navigating Upstream Woronora River

abitfishy

Hey guys,

I'd love to take the runabout upstream on the Woronora River past the footbridge, all the way to 'The Needles', but I know its pretty shallow in parts, in particular at low tide.

Does anyone by any chance have tips (gee a map would be fantastic!), showing the deeper sections of the river to get there safely?

I assume there are no 'topographic' maps, if thats what they are called (the ones that show contours for depth) for that section - since most normal fishing/boating maps stop at the footbridge!

Thanks

Martin

Hey guys,

I'd love to take the runabout upstream on the Woronora River past the footbridge, all the way to 'The Needles', but I know its pretty shallow in parts, in particular at low tide.

Does anyone by any chance have tips (gee a map would be fantastic!), showing the deeper sections of the river to get there safely?

I assume there are no 'topographic' maps, if thats what they are called (the ones that show contours for depth) for that section - since most normal fishing/boating maps stop at the footbridge!

Thanks

Martin

Hi martin

Have a look at http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/maps.html#sydney

map 9E Georges river back

Edited by Chris 55

Mate its drive by eye up there...... be careful towards the needles as there are quite a few large rocks in the water.... dont go up if the water isnt reasonably clear.

Mate its drive by eye up there...... be careful towards the needles as there are quite a few large rocks in the water.... dont go up if the water isnt reasonably clear.

Jewel is right. In some places there are sunken rocks and trees that you may miss if the water is murkey. If you have a sounder it will help to keep to what there is of a channel up there.

If you want to have a rough look go to google earth, it may not show you the exact depth but you can get an idea of the way the river heads.

As an aside we used to swim up there as a young bloke untill we saw two sharks. That put us right off it.

Dave

Jewel is right. In some places there are sunken rocks and trees that you may miss if the water is murkey. If you have a sounder it will help to keep to what there is of a channel up there.

If you want to have a rough look go to google earth, it may not show you the exact depth but you can get an idea of the way the river heads.

As an aside we used to swim up there as a young bloke untill we saw two sharks. That put us right off it.

Dave

Hey guys,

Yes, I know about the boulders just under the surface. I never thought of google earth - I have noticed the wonnie seems to have the pics done at low tide so it might give some indication of which side of the river to stick to.

Not sure if there are too many sharks up there these days davemmm, but I'd never swim in it, although plenty do.