Crookhaven Heads/currayong

Burnsy

Decided to change my plans for the Aust day long weekend after finding out the Lake Illawarra channel is still closed over. I am now heading down to Crookhaven Heads/Currayong. I am hanging out to nail some decent Lizards. I am staying at the caravan park down there and will be fishing the river from my 3.9 brooker with electric.

If anyone knows the area would appreciate any tips on where to target Lizards down their? Or if anyone is going to be down their over the long weekend and wants to go out for a few sp sessions let me know.

Burnsy

Are you going to Crookhaven Heads or Currarong?

I went down to Culburra on Firday to see how it has changed over the years.

The boat ramp at Crookhaven Heads has always been good, but now there are 3 jetties.

They have toilet facilities as well as cleaning tables with running water.

With that size tinnie and an electric motor you had better plan your fishing around the movement of the tides - ie go with the current.

From the boat ramp, if you look to the left is Orient Point and there are big sand flats out in front where you can pump live nippers and fish for flatties and flounder. There is also a small breakwall there so you might get some bream.

If they have stopped the commercial netting you should be able to get flatties all throughout the river.

There are lots of areas off Greenwell Point and there are a couple of creeks that flow into the area.

There is also a small boat ramp at Orient Point which has a lot less current. When you follow the channel out past the island, Greenwell Point is opposite. There is a good flattie drift here in between the oyster leases.

There are also plenty of moored boats and trawlers as well as the oyster leases which would all hold bream.

Greenwell Point is a good place to catch poddie mullet in traps and flatties love them.

I checked out the lake as well - Lake Wollumboola. It is like a cess pool. Since the greenies decided to save the birds and they built some sand mounds and fenced them off, the lake has not opened to the sea. It is very low and full of weed floating all over the surface and it stinks.

They have signs up saying the "Rotten Egg Gas" smell is not poisonous and it is OK to swim in. Yeah Right !!!

And after all these years, it is still bloody windy down there !!!

I saw one of those big Trailcraft boats with the fixed canopy battling the waves as he came back from the Banks. He reckons he only just made it back.

He was upset he didn't get any Marlin, but they had a nice catch of Kingies that they got jigging.

Good luck on your trip.

Cheers

Greg