New Heavy Spin Rod

Sharky

Hey all

I have been looking for a heavy spin outfit for a while now and I still havnt been succesful.

The rod I want will match up to either a 3500/4000 size certate or the new saltega 3500.

Its main perpose will be casting heavy plastics at the wash zone from a boat or landbased. I also want to have a crack at jewies on plastics of the beach. I want to have a crack at some pelagics up north later on this year and be able to tame some lager kinds so basically an all round multi purpose heavy spin rod.

7 foot 6 is what Im after and I have found 2 rods that almost fit the bill the first one was a Loomis Bronzback 7-14 lb from memory and the second is a Diawa Morethan 5-10 lb 7/6. So I love the Morethan it is a 2 piece that would be easy to travel with and is as light a a feather but............ I just dont think it will be able to handle heavy drags and a full backload cast when using 1 ounce plastics.

Suggestions would be great people so please help a fellow raider out. I dont mind paying for quality gear as long as I know I can fish it to its limits and still be confident that I wont loose the fish of a lifetime to gear

failure.

Cheers :thumbup:

My requirements were similar to yours. I went the Berkley "dropshot". It was recomended to me by Bob Williams who is a bit of a guru in the type of fishing you are talking about. Maybe you are after somthing a bit more pricey, but I am more than satisfied with min.

davo

Look at ST CROIX rods, hard to get here - made in USA - plenty on EBAY.COM (us ebay) - postage will be more expensive than the rod - but you will love the rod - i recon they are better than Loomis

Look at ST CROIX rods, hard to get here - made in USA - plenty on EBAY.COM (us ebay) - postage will be more expensive than the rod - but you will love the rod - i recon they are better than Loomis

I like the rods to but the only ones I have seen so far have been bream sticks. They look the good though

Why don't you look at the saltiga range. There are some really good rods for your type of fishing and these rods can handle the heavy stuff. There are also the shimano t curve range and most are 2 piece as well.

I have a Diawa certate 4000 and fish it on the 10kg T curve. The one with the cork grips with 20lb braid. It is great for the lighter end of the scale but if you want to go heavier the saltiga range is far better. THey are lighter and stiffer. I also have the 10-15kg T curve and 15-24kg tcurve. These rods are a bit heavy to cast all day and would not suit a certate 4000 but are great all rounders. Can cast, troll and downrig.

By the way I got a 84 cm kingie on the certate 4000 a month ago and this reel performed effortlessly. A great little reel with a BIG heart. WIll do 95% of what a saltiga will do for half the price. Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay