Harbour Kings For The Social

namesay

Hi raiders- I went out fishing today with a charter operator who is also kind of my mentor when it comes to kingfish in Sydney harbour. He guided me to my first kingy in Middle Harbour. The main aim of today was to seek out the kings . As you know I have been pretty successful with the kings but for the social I wanted a good feel for the rest of the harbour. What better than to go with a mate who is also a guide!

The day started early at Roseville. The water temps have been playing up lately so things have been a bit erratic outside but the harbour has been a steady 20C plus. The action was on straight away with kings on the surface. We cast stick baits to the kings for consistent hook ups. My 6 year old son was with me and he was onto the kings immediately. There were tailer and bonito mixed with them. The kings were not large but were great fun. We released all of them.

Kings are very fast moving creatures and they were busting up here and there. After catching a few, we decided to try for some flathead. I have been after some flathead for a while. Changed to weighted soft plastics to work the bottom. Guess what, I got a few strikes but missed. Then WHAM! a fish hits my son's lure! The reel screams and we land yet another king. Can't manage a flattie!

Deciding that flathead are a waste of time we went searching for more kings on the surface. They were spread out but were basically everywhere. :thumbup::yahoo: There is also a bream comp that is held here in Sydney at the moment and there were guys everywhere casting for bream. We had some kings busting up around a boat chasing bream. They were oblivious to the kings but when we hooked up, the screaming reels kind of made them notice!!!

By now the sun was up but the kings were still up on the surface along with tailer. I can't remember a time when the kings were so active on the surface for so long. It wasn't till about 11am that the action died down.

The next tactic was to bait fish for kings with squid. So it was to the squidding grounds. When the sun is up the squid are a bit shy. However, I had my box of yozuris and my squid spray. We decided an experiment was in order. To cut a long story short, I caught ALL the squid. Point made!!!

We went into middle harbour and found everyone fishing there. Not catching much at all. So we decided to try one of the wrecks. I downrig here with great success but we decided to anchor and fish as most people in the social won't have downriggers. Using cut squid ( which is what most people wil do in the social ) we sent the bait to the bottom and then pulled them up a few meters. Within a few minutes we get our first hit. I land the king and set the baits out again. The action is continuous and another fish is boated but is accompanied by another kingie. This fish was burlyed up with squid pieces and my 6 year old son hooks him. The fish makes it to the wreck but somehow my son gets him out. We land this fish and call it a day.

I kept 3 fish for friends and released the rest.

good to see the kings are surely out to play with whatever you have to offer them.

should have tried the peeled prawn technique or should i say the penguin technique :biggrin2: .

good work as always.

kingy social should be awsome for everyone who goes.

hope the weather is great.