1 Dolphin Fish

livo

This morning looked the goods to me so up at 4.30. At the boat ramp (Gosford Swimming Pool) 5.45. Little Box Head by 6.20 am. Next hour trying in vain to raise some Yakkas. Not one. Water still cold at 17 or 18 degrees.Decided to stop wasting time and head to BB FAD to have a go with lures and dead baits. Pleased to note increasing Temp as I move out to 20 degrees at the bouy.

Arrived at the FAD to find it was all mine and then discover why. Nada, zip, zilch. The sounder says nobody home. Tried a couple of drifts past with squid and bonito for not a touch. Out with the lures. First I try a couple of skirts and do a few laps of the FAD and two close by fish traps. Nothing. Luckily this morning I threw in a 100 gram brand new chrome laser. Swap this for one of the skirts and no sooner than putting the rod in the holder I see out the corner of my eye what I thought was a bird dive straight onto it. Wrong. It was an airborne Dollie. Straight into the icebox thankyou and feeling much happier but that was it. Spent the next hour or so doing laps, fast, slow reverse direction. Stop and cast the lure at the FAD. Nothing.

Give up and slow troll south for 12 or so Kms with three lures out the back. Didn't see a thing.

Next stop East Reef and finally here are all the Yakkas. Could have filled up on bait around 15 cm mark. Water very dirty and only 18 degrees. Get a couple of reef rubbish and one baby red (throwback). By now it's nearly noon and the NE is up and getting sloppy so back to Gosford I go.

Good morning out. Water not too bad. Boat went well. But no fish to speak of. 80 km round trip and 50 litres of fuel for 1 dollie only 60 cm long. It had in its gut what looked to me to be 2 baby hairtail. Weird things about 25 cm long with pointed tail. Also a tiny Cuttlefish partly digested and a little silver fish about the size of a 5c piece.

Yes the laser lure was trolled when I swapped it for one of the skirts. It was hammered immediately. I put it in the water and let line out, clicked the reel in and placed the rod in the holder and immediately this fish flies and dives onto it. Like I said I thought it was hit by a bird at first as I was solo and setting lines while driving keeps you busy so I was not really looking. I was also casting the lure at the FAD when trolling didn't produce any more hits.

Sorry the lure in question is in fact a Raider not laser. Chromed hex bar slice anyway with a couple of sticker on it.

Edited by livo

Guest Big-Banana

i thought your mate bagged out last week at the same fad???

Water temp is so up and down atm. I can't fish every day like he does. Bit too hit and miss for my liking. :thumbdown:

Its interesting that you got your livies way out there in such numbers.The usual spots at Pittwater have been totally dead-or super small. We actually resorted to hitting the end of Smiths Creek and finally, with average success, brought in a few slimies.

Well done with your grand efforts for the dollie!

Regards,

Murray :1fishing1: