Best Knot To Use On Deep Water Jigs

wyldchyld01

Hi all,

Just wondering on what type of knot you like to use for tying on deep water jigs (pics of knots on the ring would be great but not expected). I have a nice jigging rod and a barrel reel (no idea what type or capacity sorry it was a freeby and took on 150yrds no prob plus mono backing). have rigged the 30 pnd game rod with 20pnd mono backing, 20 pnd fireline and have 20 pnd vanish leader to tie into the line (i like to keep it all even, was suggested to load on 50pnd leader with 30pnd line so correct me if my approach is wrong please).

was going to fish the same as i do with sp's, backing line to main line to leader without swivels and just uni loop/five turn surgeons etc, but maybe someone might suggest that i am going the wrong way with these deep water jigs (weights are 150 and 200 so i'm not going huge).

cheers all

Brenton (BJ)

most use braid as the main line when jigging.

I have 50lb braid with a 100lb wind on leader (black magic)- join is via a bimini twist (loop to loop), i then tie on a ball swivel (crane) with a uniknot. I attach a (owner) split ring to the swivel & a (owner) solid ring. The asist hook is attached to the solid ring (loop to loop).

Then you can interchange your jigs via the split ring without the need of re-tying knots

cheers man, so other than completely the wrong break strains, swivel on end of line/leader connected onto a split ring which connects thru the nose of the jig, but at the same time it has the hook attached to the split via a solid ring (as bought in packet in store, think zest/s.w.lab yeah??) hook to solid ring is fine, if you lose split/swivel you lose the lot yeah???

BJ

cheers man, so other than completely the wrong break strains, swivel on end of line/leader connected onto a split ring which connects thru the nose of the jig, but at the same time it has the hook attached to the split via a solid ring (as bought in packet in store, think zest/s.w.lab yeah??) hook to solid ring is fine, if you lose split/swivel you lose the lot yeah???

BJ

use good quality terminal tackle crane game swivals with 130lb breaking strain - owner hooks & rings

The weakest link will be your knot - i caught Australia recently while jigging got everything back although the jig eye point bent and part of the jig near the eye broke away.

(the assist hook attaches to the solid ring - not the split)

Im sure you will get a vary of responses as everyone rigs there own way - thats just the way i do it

i was thinking the same as you aron, but sorry man is the split connected only to the solid ring (which goes through the nose of the jig and not the split) or as i see it, split through the nose only and solid ring off this. the knot being weaker i can see but also i see the split coming undone from the jig and if the leader isn't tied to the solid ring won't that also go missing????

appreciate your responses tah