Clifton Whalf

maltesefishman

Yup he sure does. He is landbased mainly at Balmoral and Clifton so he will be able to give you the low down on whats going on at clifton. He is a top bloke an regularly fishes with my brother on our boat when I cant make it due to work. An he always seems to get something :1prop:

Dan

Clifton is a great place to fish. When I was still in Sydney doing my degree I was there several times a wk when the Kings are about. You would probably see quite a few blokes there with fairly heavy gear and heavy sinkers. and that was what I used whn I first started there. Unfortunately my catch rate wasn't all that great then. Then I started using much lighter gear and my hit rates soared. I used to simply use my bream gear with 10lb leaders, a pea size running sinker and a size 2 hook. By simply cubing with pillies, I have hooked up bream, snapper, flatties, trevors, bonitos, watson bonitos, jewies and kings. No doubt you burst up a fair bit but trust me mate, you hook up heaps more than any one else on that wharf. A decent tight drag is a must with huge confidence in you gear. The minute the king hits and start running towards the pillions you will know what I am talking about. We had a method of getting those kings away from teh pillions but that a whole different ball game. You lose some and you win some. Burley is a must but never feed the fish. There will be times where you can see teh bonnies and kings follow your trail up. Exciting stuff.

regards

Darryl

Ps: Bring / construct a long handed landing net if you wanna land fish regularly there. Lost too many just by being stupid.

Couldnt agree more with the light gear. I reckon the fish are massively fussy down there, and I have seen them turn their nose up at baits on heavy lines. So use as little weight as you can get away with, and cosider using a longer rod so you can try to hold them out of the wharf.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Daryl :D ,

Long time no see dude! frikin miss the good old days fishing with ya. Peeps, using light gear as Daryl's saying is 1000% right. Take it from me..lol. I used to go with Daryl and Mario all the time, and it would make me burnnnnnnn when theyd hook up with their light trace and me, going all out habib style, with the 15-20lb trace thinking i'll get the kingies - it honestly didnt work.

The lighter the trace, the more hits you get! It took me a few times watching em hook up till i finally broke my pride/ignorace and tested it out...and it worked...

Although the light gear sets you back more dosh, the investment is truly worth it. Even though you might lose more, you definitely get way more hook ups- and in the end, it really is about the adrenalin rush of the screaming reel *drool*.

Ps: Bring / construct a long handed landing net if you wanna land fish regularly there. Lost too many just by being stupid.
i was waiting for you to say "i lost too many coz i let ali use the landing net" :P

Wish i was back at uni, when i spent more time at cliftons then class...