How To Attach Pvc Tube (rod Holder) To Roof Racks ?

bas

I am looking for a way to secure a pvc tube (acting as a rod holder) to the roof racks of my vehicle, for a fishing trip to FNQ. It needs to be EXTREMELY secure as we intend covering several thousand k's, mostly on dirt and corrugations. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I am looking for a way to secure a pvc tube (acting as a rod holder) to the roof racks of my vehicle, for a fishing trip to FNQ. It needs to be EXTREMELY secure as we intend covering several thousand k's, mostly on dirt and corrugations. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure what roof racks you have, but if they are Rola/Rhino/Thule, you can get brackets designed to clamp PVC pipe onto the racks. Tradesman use them mainly. And surprisingly, they are pretty reasonably priced. Contact your nearest roof rack/towbar/4WD equipment store. If they are generic bars that you can't get the specific brands clamps, I did see a bracket designed for PVC pipe in the hardware thats used to hold the pipe against a wall or similar, so you could U-bolt the brackets onto your racks and would work well.

Good luck.

Have got the same set-up for my car.

What I did was get some flat aluminium (about 1 inch wide and 1 or 2mm think) and bend it to the shape below to make 2 brackets.

post-437-1168998675_thumb.jpg

Ends up being about 6-8 inches long. Obviously the middle bit is the shape of your roof rack. This goes under the rack, the rod tube goes on top. Then using big hose clamps (4), just clamp the whole lot together.

Mine went from Sydney to Bris and back and Syd to the Snowy mountains a few times for no problems at all.

Hope this makes sense.

Steve.