Visiting Cronulla For Triathlon In March

arpie

Hi guys

My better half (Keith) and I will be in Cronulla for the Triathlon (him, not me!) on 18th March (and a few days before) & we're trying to track down a caravan park to stay in, hopefully not too far away from Wanda Beach (where it is being held.) We have a VW Transporter poptop Campervan. There doesn't seem to be many in the area, which really surprises me! I thought it would be packed with holiday parks. I'll be packing some fishing gear, of course ..... too good an opportunity to pass up, never having fished the area before!

Cronulla Caravan park is fully booked (and doesn't take campervans/caravans anyway!) Silverbeach caravan park doesn't seem to exist any more (must update my Sydney yellow & white pages!) and Gilligan's is literally on an island! Looks like Sydney Tourist Park, Port Hacking Rd, Miranda may be the closest one that I can find on Yellowpages.com.au or Silverbeach cabins which is still some way away!

Does anyone know of anything a bit closer to Wanda?? If not, any reasonably priced motels/whatever would be greatly appreciated!?

Many thanks (in advance)

Roberta

If Cronulla caravan park (which isnt actually in Cronulla) is booked out then unfortunately the next closest is the one at Miranda. Its still only about 5 mins down to Cronulla though.

Afraid to say we in the Shire dont take kindly to outsiders (we will make a definate exception for you though Roberta) so we dont encourage any of those fancy caravan park type things.

Dave

... we dont encourage any of those fancy caravan park type things.

Then our little rig should fit right in! It must be the best part of 20 + years since I last visited the area! I worked at a place called VM Diesels once out near the airport!

It is always such a pain to pack up the van each time you have to drive anywhere - much easier to be able to walk to the beach/starting point!

Looks like I may be looking for alternate accomodation for a change & just use the van as transport! Any recommendations??

Ta

Roberta

Cronulla motor inn is on the kingsway just up the hill from the beach. shortish walk to Wanda. Its not flash but by reports not too bad.

A couple of B&Bs that i dont know much about.

A YHA near the main drag.

Ridges near nth Cronulla beach or the quest above Northies not sure on prices but I imagine they are a bit more than the YHA.

Nothing much down Wanda way though.

dave

Just keep in mind, that the one at Miranda in Port Hacking Rd, is majority live-in residents, and as a result, well, lets say, um, attracts a certain kind.

Its commonly checked for local crooks that are on the run, and for crooks from outside the area thats been spotted in the shire (and a few have actually been found there).

Personally I'd be looking elsewhere, even if you need to travel a bit further......it definitely does not have a good reputation.

But thats just my opinion. :)

Thanks for that, abitfishy - I have my feelers out for a couple of options - one of which doesn't encourage the hoon element (which suits us fine!) The other may have a slight hoon element but is more within the price differential ...... comfort vs security. Security wins every time, I reckon!

Thanks again

Roberta