Northern Beaches Sharks

zen801

Hey raiders,

Fished Northern Beaches tonight for a good catch of shark.

Got to the beach at about 7:30pm to meet up with Jeff for a shot at whatever.

First fish was a nice fat salmon of about 3kg to Jeff. It had a good chunk of flesh gone from a shark love bite.

Thought this was a good sign at the time. Next was a gummy of about 4 foot maybe. It was 3.8kg cleaned ready to be eaten. We both had a good run on something else big being either a ray or shark. Best fish of the night was last at about 9:30pm being another shark but a lot bigger for jeff.

After a good fight and a walk down the beach Jeff got it close in to knee - waist high whitewater. I jump into the water to grab it as i thought it was another much bigger gummy shark. First attempt at the tail i got the mid body and lost grip as it powered in the shallow surf. Next attempt i stepped on it in the dark and my toenail smashed into him as he did a good burst of power. OUCH!!!. Its a bit sore as i write this report but its still there - thats always good.

Anyway dragged him up onto the beach. It was a beautiful 18 - 20 kg minimum whaler. I took one look at the size of the freaking thing i just pulled out of the water and its teeth and thought - "Mate i wont be doing that again". It was maybe 5 foot or so.

I am glad i did it as a few months ago Jeff did similar for me to get an 8kg jew i caught there up onto the beach.

Nice way for Jeff to break in his new beach rod. Met another guy on the beach whilst landing the shark. Chris i hope you get involved with Fishraider mate its No 1 site.

Gotta go to bed for a couple of hours sleep as going into MH at 5 am. I will stick down some fresh salmon fillets from tonite down for a jewie. Tight lines raiders and good luck at the Kingie social sunday.

Edited by zenman

You are a brave man Zenman, I'll be buggered if I go in with my feet and hands without knowing what is thrashing about in the water. That is a decent bronzed whaler, did you end up keeping it?

Brave is probably not the right word more like excited fool - thats fishing.

No we let it go to live another day. I reckon if we stayed later and threw out a whole mullet or something

like that we would have got an even bigger one. Shark fishing is definately a good rush when your on!

Cheers 445F

Was surfing at North Bungan yesterday afternoon when massive schools of salmon came cruising over the reef/bank. Another bloke remarked that he hoped they were doing the chasing and not being chased. These were big greenbacks about 3-4kg! Some other bloke started saying that bronze whalers had been sighted and caught there over the last few nights.

Where were you fishing Zenman?

By the way, the great waterman/surfer Jim Banks once commented when asked about the fear of sharks that he made a pact with them - they wouldn't eat him and he wouldn't eat "flake" not even your local fish & chips.

Zenman, you might be asking for it with your heroics! Karma.

Was surfing at North Bungan yesterday afternoon when massive schools of salmon came cruising over the reef/bank. Another bloke remarked that he hoped they were doing the chasing and not being chased. These were big greenbacks about 3-4kg! Some other bloke started saying that bronze whalers had been sighted and caught there over the last few nights.

Where were you fishing Zenman?

By the way, the great waterman/surfer Jim Banks once commented when asked about the fear of sharks that he made a pact with them - they wouldn't eat him and he wouldn't eat "flake" not even your local fish & chips.

Zenman, you might be asking for it with your heroics! Karma.

Tosh we were at Longie! I dont know about heroics as i thought it was a gummy and there pretty harmless.

I wont be jumping in the surf in future unless its a jewie. Cheers mate. It appears that gummies are a common

catch at times. This is the second one i have caught on a bait aimed at a jewie.