Billfisher Catches A 100kg Plus Striped

Ross Hunter

Billfisher tagged a 100 kg plus striped on Sunday...Angler Willy Schultheass caught his first ever marlin.

I was trolling beside Glenn when it hit the fan. Glenn suggested a huge fin maybe 80 kg as it all but spooled him in ten minutes.The fish bolted for the bottom untill there was only 30 metres left on the Shimano Tiagra ... At this point he had backed off the drag to 1kg to avoid the line snapping from water pressure Willy worked like a trooper on the rod and at last the first 20 metres of line was back on the big gold and very empty spool. Glenn backed up hard and to his surprise after an hour the yellowfin that at this stage was totally unsighted jumped clear of the ocean and turned into a marlin. Another twenty minutes went by and the big healthy fish who was caught in the cranium with the Bloodshot lure was tagged and released.

No wonder he went deep, the hook placement had turned him into a deep diver . We also caught some small school fin a couple of rat dollies and a heap of stripeys See our web site www.gamefishingcharters.com.au and look in "Fishing Reports" .See some great pics

We are off to work 100 days at Pt Stephens this week and will keep you Raiders informed on the wild marlin and mahi action from there.

Ross and Glenn Hunter

Ross,

I can't wait for our "excursion" with you at Port Stephens in Feb. Our trip last year was fantastic and we are all gladly backing up for another crack at those leaping wonders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Pete

Sorry fellas gotta go goin' fishin' We caught the striped in 80 fathoms on Sunday

Netic the car park or mosh pit is in 75 fathoms lat 33.01 to 33.03 approx I work off memory as the true marks are in my plotter but that will get you near it then look for the boats

Ross

Look forward to fishing with you again Pugwash

Ross

thanks for your report.

marlin fishing isn't my thing, only because i don't have the know how and probably never will have the money for the boat and equipment. Nevertheless i love watching vids and hearing reports like yours. How about some of you marlin guys tell us (who know nothing about chasing marlin) how you go about catching them. I know absolutely nothing about what you guys do but would love to know.

regards

davo