Brisbane Waters 23/01/07

garyd

Hi raiders,

Fished early Tuesday morning in Brisbane waters by myself for 3 good flathead and a shovel nose shark/ray. Got on the water about 4:45am and the water was perfect. Went about finding a school of tailor to put out live near the rip bridge to hopefully tempt that big jew but although the bait collection went well the jew fishing didn't. Just the shovely to show for about 3 hours.

After that i decided to try and through some SP's around and try to salvage the trip with some good lizards so off i went to my favorite sand bank and what would you know a 46cm flathead on my first cast :yahoo: !Then 2 casts later another fish of around the same size but because i was fishing alone and struggling to guide the fish into the net and hold it at the same time a little head shake at the boat and he was gone. After the same thing happened at least 7 times in the next 2 hours i was begining to think there was something wrong, and after racking my brain i came up with the only thing i had changed was the type of jig head i was using. On further examination i noticed that the hook was quite thin and the barb was very small (more suited to big bream than a flathead shaking its head).

I then decided to call it a day after changing my jighead and having no more luck in that spot, but on the way back to the ramp i came accross a very sandy peice of bottom that any self respecting flathead would love t call home. So i killed the motor and launched the 70mm squidgy fish over the back (with the boat still slowly coasting) and as the SP hit the bottom i was on again and after a short fight landed another 45cm fish. Clearly calling it a day was put off for a while and i went about throwing my squidgy around a bit more and i didn't have to wait long and i was on again but this was a much better fish that made the stradic 2500 sing (oh i love that sound) and the 1-3kg t-curve buckle over, but again after a short fight i landed a respectable 62cm fish. I thought that would take alot of beating so i headed back to the ramp and called it a day.

Sounds like a fun session! :thumbup::yahoo::1welcomeani: to the wonderful world of Fishraider and plastics fishing! I heard a guy mentioning that he recently pulled three soapoes in a row from under the Rip bridge... but a live tailor isn't a soapie bait - that's for sure! Good luck with Mr. Big...

Flattieman.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, it was a great session.

I have also been strugling up until this week, but i always have all of my luck in Feb, March and April esspecially with the big girls. Last year in about March a mate of mine lost the biggest flattie i have ever seen because i called it for a ray and folded the net up and put it away :ranting2: . He has just started talking to me again. If there are any raiders who want to get together for a fish around brisbane waters or the entrance let me know, i'm local now :thumbup:

Hey Gary

I'm not a Brisbane Waters local but it is nonetheless the main spot we go boat-based fishing (holiday house in Kilcare where the boat is kept). I'd love to catch up one day for a joint jew session under the Rip or at any of the other Jew holes in BW.

We went out a couple of weeks ago for very similar results to you. Live yakkas in a hole untouched but five good flatties from spinning a shallow sand-bar with SPs. I won't be up that way again for a while but I'll PM you next time and see if we can't meet up on the water or something.

Do you ever fish outside? West reef?