Certate Or Erskinised Capricorn

bombora

Hiya all, just some musings; Bit of talk lately about the awesome little Diawa Certate Custom 2500R and their 7kg drag ability.

Was just wondering how many people would use this drag ability on this little reel. Say you put 10lb fireline, which many do I think, on it which breaks about 18lb. Can you fish 7kg drag on approx 8kg breaking strain line (not taking into account knots, nick etc )?

Are you reduced to pointing the rod directly at the fish to use the drag to full potential, as how many rods on which you'd mount a Certate could handle 7kg drag over their fighting curve?

Is it the cranking power combined with the drag which makes em hot, the fact that even at full drag they are still smooth (but see above question) and so damn expensive?

Could you, for MOST uses for a Certate, get away with getting an equal size say CapricornA and putting an Erskine drag washer system in it at an all up fraction of the cost?

Sorry for the many questions, just interested as am soon putting togther an outfit specifically for extra light lures and bigger fish such as Pittwater moorings kings.

Cheers Bombie

Rave away Swoff, they ARE awesome reels and I enjoy people enjoying their tackle :D. Just seeking a possible cheaper alternative. Don't know much about Jack Erskine's drag modifications; are they just hell of a lot smoother or can he up the ante on drags too? What do ya reckon? Reckon a Cap A's gears handle it if the drag was beefed or too much to ask?

Do you use the point the rod at the fish method as wouldn't putting a bend into something like a beastbuster with 5-7kg drag blow the rod up?

chers Bombie

Even if the reels can take 5kg or 7kg of drag, good luck finding a rod that can take that sort of punishment. Think about it for a second, a 50w reel running 24kg line runs 8kg of drag at strike. The rods you whack a 50w reel on are a little more robust than you're average medium - heavy graphite spin rod!!! The only rods I can think of that may handle it are the jap spec jig rods, but they're not a very versitile bit of gear. So really all this talk about little reels with massive drag setting is just a wank because you wont get a decent rod that will also handle an excessive drag unless all you plan on doing is jigging!

Hiya Bashir, that's sorta what I was asking about, though in less direct language :D .

Also why I asked about the point-the-rod-straight-at-the-fish style of fighting which, I think, is how some of the heavy saltwater fly guys get around the problem of big fish heavy-ish drags and fairly fragile SWF rods. this could work on medium casting-spin rods too, could it not? Bombie

:lol: Sorry got a bit emotional there.

Good point about the fly rods, maybe its worth getting a spin rod built up on a fly rod blank - you are a fan of long fishing rods after all. :thumbup: I know Rod Harrison does this for casting slugs at tuna. I think I'll eat my own words and say there is a fly rod blank out there that could possible cast a plastic and fish some fancy drag settings. :1yikes: Definately worth investigating.

Bombie...You make mention of the price difference between the Cap and ther Cert. But its not just about drag I don't think!

Correct me if I'm wrong Swoffa...But it also has a lot to do with the more robust gearing internally, as well as the better line lay characteristics which are a damn sight better with the Cert if you go by the spec sheet.

And I believe it is lighter than any other comparable reel in its class, therefore reducing angler fatigue if you will spending hours tossing lures.

Hiya Jo, yup I mentioned whether the pice got you tougher gears too. Just wondering how much better line laying is needed, and I ain't so ravaged by age _ just yet _ to worry about a coupla grams weight difference.

Yup Bash seen some stuff from Harro about building 9ft double handed spin sticks from heavy duty fly rods :D

Anyone know about Erskine drags?

I think I'll eat my own words and say there is a fly rod blank out there that could possible cast a plastic and fish some fancy drag settings.  Definately worth investigating

bomby & bash, I have been told by GLoomis directly they tested the new GLX's 3-5 and 3-6kg spin rod up to 7kg of pressure. not sure how the testing was done but there is a review in the new barra n bass mag that I haven't read yet. The rod only weighs about 80g but as with the certate comes with a price tag to match. I have been looking for a rod and reel for similar purposes and be prepared to put a dent in your wallet if u want to retain a light weighted outfit.

Jeez Rick don't tell Swoffa this!! Then again he may already have two of em :D .

Seriously they sound awesome, interesting rods. Liking the trend to really light but potent weapons, not so keen on the price you pay for em though! Cheers and thanks for the info

I'd be curious to see how they tested that rick? One thing to lock up the drag at 7kg and point the rod tip at a fish, and another to run 7kg through the loaded rod?

Id like to see it deadlift 7kg! :lol:

Chris

In answer to your questions

Hiya all, just some musings; Bit of talk lately about the awesome little Diawa Certate Custom 2500R and their 7kg drag ability.

Was just wondering how many people would use this drag ability on this little reel.

I probably wouldn't, the ergonomics of those little reels don't seem to work with heavy drags - the pissweak handle on the capricorn doesn't really cut it.

Say you put 10lb fireline, which many do I  think, on it which breaks about 18lb. Can you fish 7kg drag on approx 8kg breaking strain line (not taking into account knots, nick etc )?

Even if your connections retained 100% of the lines breaking strain, you'll probably find that 8kg mono will pop quite often when pulled through the rod with 7kg of drag - it isn't a realistic drag setting. Sunset on 8kg would be more like 3.5-5.5kg. I've noticed also that fireline is a little erratic when pushed to the limits, 10lb might break at 5kg (i've popped it at a little over 5kg)

Are you reduced to pointing the rod directly at the fish to use the drag to full potential, as how many rods on which you'd mount a Certate could handle 7kg drag over their fighting curve?

Unless you fork out the big $$$ for an expensive toothpick, you'll find that you can't always point the rod at the fish and lock up - it's not often practical and the fish don't always read the script by running hard and fast in the one direction (how would you handle a big king lunging for your anchor rope when you're at the back of the boat)

Is it the cranking power combined with the drag which makes em hot, the fact that even at full drag they are still smooth (but see above question) and so damn expensive?

Could you, for MOST uses for a Certate, get away with getting an equal size say CapricornA and putting an Erskine drag washer system in it at an all up fraction of the cost?

Sorry for the many questions, just interested as am soon putting togther an outfit specifically for extra light lures and bigger fish such as Pittwater moorings kings.

Cheers Bombie

Depends on how light the lures are and whether you can realistically cast them with the utopian outfit. My "light" spinning outfits have 10lb fireline and 30lb braid. The more serious outfit has 50lb braid and when i get angry i reach for my overhead with 65lb. You could use a cord hand line and a pair of gloves - it'd work but isn't anywhere near as cool as a rocket launcher filled with shiny gold and silver reels!!

Sami

Interesting answers Sami, thanks for the effort :thumbup: . And you got the description right in calling it the Utopian outfit! Just not keen to be doing a lot of casting of unweighted plastics with the big heavy old bluewater spinning outfit. Still it's fun searching for an alternative for flatwater big fish lure casting. PS never really had a problem on heavy drag pointing the rod at the fish, most times can be anticipated, particularly kings; it ain't exactly a surprise when they do the see-the-boat-go-crazy thing. Suprising when they DON"T do it. Cheers Bombie

Guest hottuna

Swoff id like to know how you managed to wear 4 capricorns. I have one of the old ones and has caught heaps and heaps of kings and salmon, and have only had it back to daiwa once, its now going good as gold. Pls explain.

Dan