Any Drummer Fanatic ?

Rode Cary

Hi Raiders,

I have been introduced to drummer fishing approx 6 months ago and after my first drummer I was hooked. I fish with a 13 ft Zebco Rhino special heavy match rod and a Shakeunderwatere baitcaster loaded with 23 lbs mono.

Those pigs really give you a rush of adrenaline, especially the over 40 cm ones.

My favourite bait which has never let me down is salted abalone gut which I buy at Tony's bait shop. Apart from drummer, I caught trevallys, leather jackets and breams with these smelly ab guts. My second choice of bait is peeled king prawns which you can get for 9$/kg at the markets. Burleying with stale bread really fires up those pigs but unfortunately it also tends to attract small nuisance like puffer fish

My two favourite spots are Mona VAle headlands and North Whale beach headlands where I caught my biggest pig of 47 cm on ab guts.

My rig is pretty basic, just use a float with 60 cm of trace and No 4 suicide hook.

Anybody else want to share

Cheers

Edited by johnno

• 3 weeks later...

Hey champ

i enjoy watching guys catch them of the headlands etc

as a kid growing up my pop used to take us (brother and I)out to the

jail front wall at south west rocks. And we used to stand back and pop used to talk to

some of his mates there.

We used to love watching.

But personally i thinks its to dangerous and knowing me i would go for a swim.

cheers

Johnno

Drummer fishing can be very addictive although i only fish for them during the colder months when there seems to be a few more around and not as many other fish to keep me entertained. Ab gut has been the best bait for me over the past few years but i have also caught them on peeled prawns, cunje and small bits of bread when fished with a good bread burley trail. I fish the rocks on the southern side of barrenjoey quite a bit and have found that the fish really only come on the chew on a run up tide even if we burley very heavily they seem to switch on on the run up. Another area that i fish a lot is on the central coast around bateau bay and towoon bay and have had some great days on the drummer with the odd tackle busting groper thrown in for good measure. Great fun and hard to beat on the table will have me chasing pigs for a long time to come.

Cheers Shane.

hey johnno i must admit rock fishig for drummer can be dangerous at times as you will normally fish close to the water where the washes are. This means danger. The spot i fish at whale beach head is quite safe in any sea except exceptional weather. Having said that that particular spot was unfishable the sunday before last. The waves were big and powerful. I wave watched for 3 hrs, hoping they will calm down with the running out tide. But i had to call it a day as i have so much respect for the ocean

Hey CaineS I tried coalcliff for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago. I have to admit the forecast was predicting 3m swells but i decided to go as i was invited by my fishing buddy. Got there at 6 am at high tides. Impossible to venture on the ledge as the waves were huge. We just sat there and waited for low time. I chose the highest point on the ledge to be safe. Was fishing for 30 mins and no big swell so i was feeling safe. Suddenly i just saw a huge swell just 10-20 m from the ledge. Didn't had time to take any action and i got hit in the chest and got pushed back a couple of metres. I then realised i lost my fishing rod which got carried away with the wave. That's my Coalcliff experience. Never again. How big are the pigs there?

Yeah Shane, pig fishing is indeed very addictive. I normally fish them on the rising tide with the best being around 3 hrs before high tide. Burley definitely creates a feeding frenzy but unfortunately attract the small fish that can ruin the fishing party. For the first time yesterday i tried the going out tid which was very good too. Around 2-3 hrs after the hide tide, the pigs were on fire. Unfortunately they were just under 30 cm. Couple were legal size though. Once i had a pig fighting, the others swam aroud the hooked fish even to the surface. They were on fire. We hooked around 15, me and a friend but released all of them. Keep them for next time:). Yesterday king prawns were outclassing the ab gut for some reason. Hey Shane do you still fish the Barrenjoey head? I fish not far away at Whale beach. May be one day we can share spots.

Anyway, long live the pigs...hey its the year of the pig this year (chinese new year)

Cheers

Bertrand

• 2 weeks later...

off the rocks on the northern side of Terrigal boat ramp i had some good hook ups there at the start of January using live prawns i got 3 before i gave up and went home around the 40cm mark got to whatch out for snap offs there though...I didnt even know what i'd caught i had to find someone to tell me...good fight though and really tasty

hey kingfisher

sounds like a good spot. will try it one day if am around central coast. do u mind give me a more detailed explanation how to get there? how's the waves on the rocks there?

cheers

bertrand

sure ... at terrigal there is only 1 boat ramp it shouldnt be too hard for you too find park at the ramp, head around the rocks from the northern side i go to the safest looking spot on the north eastern side depending on the swell i was using 20lb line on a 12ft rod with an egg beater cause you need to be able to pull them up over the rock face which is about 1-2 metres i had a bottom sinker rig and lost quite a bit of tackle there is probably a better way to do it but there you go ... i hope thats enough info for you... if not let me know and ill try find a map for you...

Edited by K1ngf1sher

Hi Raiders,

I have been introduced to drummer fishing approx 6 months ago and after my first drummer I was hooked. I fish with a 13 ft Zebco Rhino special heavy match rod and a Shakeunderwatere baitcaster loaded with 23 lbs mono.

Those pigs really give you a rush of adrenaline, especially the over 40 cm ones.

My favourite bait which has never let me down is salted abalone gut which I buy at Tony's bait shop. Apart from drummer, I caught trevallys, leather jackets and breams with these smelly ab guts. My second choice of bait is peeled king prawns which you can get for 9$/kg at the markets. Burleying with stale bread really fires up those pigs but unfortunately it also tends to attract small nuisance like puffer fish

My two favourite spots are Mona VAle headlands and North Whale beach headlands where I caught my biggest pig of 47 cm on ab guts.

My rig is pretty basic, just use a float with 60 cm of trace and No 4 suicide hook.

Anybody else want to share

Cheers

I will begin by saying I know sweet FA about drummer fishing but it does fascinate me. I have however sworn to not fish the rocks although I love my blackfish.

The reason I am posting is that I remember watching in awe at a guy fishing for pigs at St Michaels Cave Avalon, and without a word of a lie, the fish he was getting were so big and strong he had to hold on to a rock whilst trying to wind them in. They were honestly nearly pulling him in.

So, I can see the reason for your addiction, best of luck. Keep St Michaels in mind!!

davo