Newbie Question(s)

Paul

Hi all

Sorry if this sounds newbish but I'd like to get some info from anyone experienced.

Currently I live in an apartment so I don't have space for a boat not even a little dingy but I'm so keen to hit the water since I live relatively close. What I was alternatively looking at was those inflatable boats like these ones:

http://www.zodiacmarine.com/uk/

Now my questions are:

* Do I need a boat license to operate one of these?

* How do I get it in the water? ie boat ramp or just any sand bank?

* What conditions/environments are they best suited for? eg estuary, closer to shore etc?

* Would they be ok to fish out on? Can anyone recommend a decent model/brand to start out on?

* What size motor is required?

* Are there any websites which could push me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

Edited by Paul

G'day Paul ,

A boat licence is only required if you are operating your boat in excess of 10 knots . Even if the vessel is capable of much faster speeds , as long as you dont go over 10 knots , you are sweet .

How you launch is dependant on how heavy the boat / motor combination is. Obviously , if the boat and motor are heavier than you are able to lift ( with or without help) , then launching at a ramp would be the go .

Inflatable boats are quite OK to use for fishing , you would of course need to be a little more careful with sharp things ( hooks , knives etc ) than in other craft , but I have seen many people fishing quite happily from inflatables .

The size of the motor would be dictated by the size of the boat , and if you have no intentions of getting a boat licence , you would only need something that would take you to 10 knots. Probably a 9 - 15 HP .

Ross

G'day Paul ,

A boat licence is only required if you are operating your boat in excess of 10 knots . Even if the vessel is capable of much faster speeds , as long as you dont go over 10 knots , you are sweet .

How you launch is dependant on how heavy the boat / motor combination is. Obviously , if the boat and motor are heavier than you are able to lift ( with or without help) , then launching at a ramp would be the go .

Inflatable boats are quite OK to use for fishing , you would of course need to be a little more careful with sharp things ( hooks , knives etc ) than in other craft , but I have seen many people fishing quite happily from inflatables .

The size of the motor would be dictated by the size of the boat , and if you have no intentions of getting a boat licence , you would only need something that would take you to 10 knots. Probably a 9 - 15 HP .

Ross

Need to check the laws in your state. In SA, you have to have a license for anything CAPABLE of greater than 10 knots, not just staying under it.

I used to have an inflatable with 4 seats, back to back, forward steering and a 35HP on the back. Probably a bit big to fold up and put in the boot of the car! What it did have though were two wheels fitted onto some 1" square tube held onto the transom (wood) with a couple of wing nuts. Travel along OK with the wheels 'up', then just pull up to the bank, reverse the wheels down under the bottom or the boat, and then just drag the front out of the water and wheel it up the ramp.

Even in a unit, i don't know where you would put even a small boat, motor, fuel tank, life Jackets and all the ather gear required. I suppose it is not a cheap option (depending on what you earn and how much you want a boat), but you could keep it in a self storage shed. Then its just down to the shed, hook on the boat, and away you go.

Must agree with Flightmanager,regardless if your boat does over 10knts you should be licensed.

And besides its more than worth it to get your license, you will learn alot markers and such.

My first boat was a 10ft with a 6 hp Johnny used to fly! Will a Zodiac be a good fishing machine um depends on the angler..lol just kidding.. sure it will. Have seen some awesome vids of Zodiacs in the rough stuff.

Cheers Twoducks