Eletrical Wiring

newatthegame

Hey Guys

I have a a boat which has lights, sounder and an electric start all connected to a single battery, with the wires directly connected to the bettery terminals. Is this safe?

I am also having problems with the sounder working properly while the outboard is running. Is this caused by the wiring?

The sounder works fine with the motor off. I feel like i should be running the wiring through a switch board or something. Any suggestions would be great

Randall

hi Randall

You can buy a simple and inexpensive fused switch panel from a boating store which will make your boat much safer and more reliable. Pick up a roll of "tinned" cable to make the connections as ordinary car or household cables don't last long in a salt environment.

With the depth sounder problem, make sure the wire to the transducer is not bundled with the other cables. Best to run it down the opposite side of the boat well away from any electrical cables.

Edited by Michaelr

hi Randall

You can buy a simple and inexpensive fused switch panel from a boating store which will make your boat much safer and more reliable. Pick up a roll of "tinned" cable to make the connections as ordinary car or household cables don't last long in a salt environment.

With the depth sounder problem, make sure the wire to the transducer is not bundled with the other cables. Best to run it down the opposite side of the boat well away from any electrical cables.

Spot on

If you want to keep on cheap than you can keep each individual piece of equipment connected to battery as long as they are seperately fused with at least an inline fuse. The interferance your are getting through sounder maybe due to loose connection somewhere in wiring and not necessarily on sounder wiring , maybe problem joint on another part of electical system. If you find no joints with corrosion or burning then next bet is to run transducer cable on opposite side of boat. But first spend the time pulling apart all connecters and joiners to all of equipment before this and u may find some sea water corrosion or loose joint some where in other parts of electrical that will make interference, Cheers Dave