Trolling With Eggbeaters

slayer666

Guest IFishSick.

It's okay, but you have to change the drag setting back and forth, but because you have a baitrunner, it might be okay if you can set your baitrunner drag to a fairly tense setting.

Otherwise you'll have to loosen the drag off at the top of the reel and when you have a fish you must tighten it up, but then you lose that 33% drag setting and have to have a guess at it.

Guest danielinbyron

not ideal for big lures at a rate of knots but no reason why not .. just the length of the handle and the way the rod wants to sit would be worth keeping an eye on, make sure everything is solidly held in place for a hit and the line can run freely.. yet firm enough to sink the hook on a strike..

Hey Joe,

I troll with a 10kg Silstar Crystal Blue Tip rod matched to an older model Okuma Fina 60 reel and it goes really well.

It's not a bait runner so I have a guess at the drag settings - just whatever feels right and never had a problem yet.

I've landed some great salmon and kings on the troll using Xmas trees. I do it every time I go outside now.

Cheers

David.

Guest IFishSick.

50lb braid offshore is nothing, I've seen Stella's and Spheros' loaded with 100lb.

I have 3 eggbeaters, two bait runners (50lb) and one single drag (20lb). Only ever run one eggbeater with a largish lure and the other with a stripie lure.

Edited by IFishSick.