Corroded Quinny

spinifex

G'Day,

i own a 94 mod quintrex fishabout. i came back from fishing the other day and pulled the bungs out and noticed alot of water came out. I got home and pulled up the floor and noticed quite a bit of pitting on the inside of the hull, with a couple going right through (obviously where the water came in).

any ideas on how to stop the corrosion?

That much corosion in a 94 is pretty bad - I have a 1981 lazeabout, still in pretty good shape.

Quintrex had a run of boats around 1980's with some kind of spaces between the ribs and the sheet. Most got recalled and refitted as it caused a corosion problem.

Is the boat moored or anti-fouled - need special antifoul on tinnies.

Are your anodes on the motor as coroded - may be your boat is sacrifical to the motor anodes.

Also do you use the frame of your boat as an negative connection, like a car does? - big no no in a boat. (Galvanic corosion)

I annually remove the floor, and vaccum the crap out.

As for a fix, welding holes over is expensive, as is sheet replacement.

Best cheap fix is "weld it" - a 2 part epoxy, and you push it through the hole, and flatten the putty out on each side.

Spinifex,

If you have any mods or attachments to your boat, stainless or otherwise, make sure the joins are coated with a non conductive galvanic corrosion inhibitor. Id say some brand names but not sure if thats allowed :biggrin2: just do a web search. cheers.