Dusted At Quarantine!

Dano1

Hi all,

Was out at the car park yesterday and got dusted in the morning on live squid. this thing bit straight through 80pound leader after a small fight. My mate hooked on to another desent size fish but took him down under the rocks.

Returned about lunch time armed with a large squid and a small cuttle fish, striped up the squid for dead baits managed a 65cm King on my lite gear wich was fun, then dropped down the cuttle fish on the bigger rod, i was about 3/4 of the way down when it took off i even had trouble getting the reel in to gear it was moving so quick, finaly was fighting this monster and i think you no who was winning! I managed to retrive some line but for every bit i got he took double, My drag was pretty much wound right up, and this thing was stiping line so i decided to try and slow him down with a bit of thumb on the spool. Then PING.....!!!!! :mad3: AGGGHHH.. no more fish!

Iam sure this has happened to everyone but i cant forget about it! I caught a 81cm King in the same spot on new years day and that had nothing on this thing! would love to know what it was. Im thinking a monster king or a shark!!

Was hoping that someone landed one of them or got busted off as well try and make me feel beter.

I think i reconized a couple of boats out there yesterday of this site, my boats the white 4.5m fibreglass with the big Australian flag off the arial withl 70hp Tohiatsu

Dan.

Hi Dan,

I've also had a similar experience there last year.

After trying for ages to find yakkas, we use the only fish we'd caught

a trevally of about 30cm so I dropped it down on my mates "giant killer" outfit , 50lb braid and 100lb leader.

As soon as it got near the bottom it appeared to be snagged and it woudlnt come off. I tightened up the

drag to "try" and bust it off which seemed to upset the "snag" somewhat which then started to make

a beeline towards the yellow marker at a slow pace about 40 feet away.

Nothing would stop it regardless of pressure, and

there was no fight, head shake or pulse from a tail. It then wrapped itself around the chain, as i could

feel the chain moving up and down, then it was gone.

It could have been a big ray, as I've hooked plenty before - but very unlikely as to hook one up straight away the livie would have to had swim straight into its mouth.

A big octopus, but usually if you can pull them of the bottom you can pull it up and they wouldnt head

for a chain, more likely a rock crevice

But it will probably likes yous it'll just end up a mystery like so many other bust off stories,

to be discussed and theorised down the pub for months to come.

I did speak to a group of divers there a few months later who said a big grouper had taken up residence

around the chain and was quite territorial so it may of been him ( or her )

Jason

Edited by PPSGT

i think u need to go back with tiagra's :1prop:

I only wish i have similar experiences one day!

What kind of gear were u using?

Hey Domza,

Yeah! not using that reel again.

Good abu garcia rod with a fairly cheap overhead on it! that is the only cheap reel i have and it had to go off like that! lesson learnt. first thing i did when i got home was take the reel off the rod.

Dan.

I've never really had a similar experience, only once did i get reefed and thats because i was trolling and the king took off and i couldnt hear the drag going off and by the time i realised he was well and truly under!

Every other time ive dropped a big fish, is due to the fish spitting the hooks or the odd time when the fish bites me off!!

DAN