Brisbane Waters

GrantHarris

Late start to the morning due to an alarm that didn't go off.

Got to Box Head just inside the point at about 7.00am and picked up a just legal bream on prawn and a running sinker and hook.

Went in to Lobster Beach for some flatheads. Flicked a lure but no luck. Only saw one small flattie taken in the time there.

Decided to head down to Barrenjoey Heads but half way between Lion Island and Box Head we decided to stop and drift.

Picked up an 800g Tailor on a whole Pilchard but the rig was too heavy and it didn't offer much of a fight.

Rigged up my quiver tip with 4lb line and Spirex reel with running sinker and double bottom hooks (not ganged) with pilchard . By this time we had drifted back to Box Head but this time just outside the point. Whilst I was flicking a squid jag for something to do my reel started zinging and by the time I'd wound in my squid jag and put the fighting drag on the little Spirex I had a real fight on my hand.

Eventually landed a 1.25kg Tailor and by that time it was midday and time to call it quits.

Thanks Stewy - it certainly gave my Quivertip and little Spirex reel a workout.

Now Kelvin as for flathead I can only go on what another very kind person posted to me in a pm a couple of weeks ago and that is Lobster Beach on an incoming tide and ettalong on an outgoing tide. I cannot confirm though because I have never caught a flattie before and am in search of my first like you.

I can confirm though that the easern end of Lobster Bay seems quite popular with anglers with a 2 or 3 boats arriving just after us pretty much right on the turn of the tide mid-morning. Admittedly I did not have the right sort of baits with me having left my squidgies in the car back at the ramp so I was not really expecting to catch anything and hence didn't stay for long. But it was worth watching how others fished for them (with success) and I certainly picked up some tips for rigs and techniques so it was half an hour well spent in that regard.

I will keep you posted though on any progress.

Edited by Grant Harris

Do you have any good flattie spots around there Grant? I have been trying to nail one of these suckers for a long time. Good tailer though. CHeers Kelvin

Drifting from Lion Island out toward Box Head on the run out has always produced flatties if they're around.

Also many are caught along the edges of the sand bar that runs all the way from Little Box to the beach at Ettalong Point. Guys used to wade out and Tripod for flatties years ago but I don't think I'd do it. Beware of the bars though. The surfers love it as it is a well known surf break in a southerly swell and the water is shallow. Waterways rule is for Life Jackets being worn if your out of the main channels or crossing the bar. I don't know if they police it but it came into force a couple of years ago.

Livo

A bit off topic though

I always have found it interesting that I have never seen anyone wearing a lifejacket when crossing the bar at little Box (I must admit myself included). they did declare it a "bar" a few years ago. One day they will police it.

Thanks for reminding me.

davo

I think if you stay in the marked channel that hangs close to the Half Tide Rocks and then around the front of Lobster s Beach out to the doudle channel marks at Little Box your OK. However in small swell and high tide conditions many people (and I used to do it too and still will in the right conditions) head straight to Lion Island from the end of Half Tide Rocks. This is classified as crossing a bar and so Life Jackets must be worn in any conditions.

I have seen on more than one occasion boats on the bar with the skipper obviously oblivious to the water depth and possibility of breaking waves. On one occassion a large (30 ft or so) cruiser was nearly rolled over right in the surf take off zone in front of our eyes. We watched in disbelief as this vessel played with disaster. A bigger wave would have capsized it for sure.

Local knowledge is critical.