Decide I May Take The Plunge

Dolmo

Hi everyone

After abit of thinking and catching a few fish and really enjoying it I have decided I might go about purchasing a custom Rod...from either king rods or fishfinder.

I want to be able to catch bread and butter type fish Bream, flatties and so on...but i want enough grunt to be able to pick up kingies, good size jewies, tuna and so on.

I was thinking Reels:

- Sustain

- Twin power

- Stella

Now obviously stella is the highest cost and most likely the best...but would like some thoughts.

Rods i am not to sure on, possibly king rod pelagic l or something like that, maybe some of you have these rods and can recomend what type and what type or reel, so i can work out a budget

Thank you

Brad

G'day Brad,

You are asking alot of range there (as I was)... you really need to break it down into "needs" and "wants"

What is the majority of the fishing you are doing? Bream/Flathead or Kings/Pelagics?

If you want the soft tip for bream flathead it is hard to get the butt to handle kings and your tip will be too soft to cast sluggos etc... the only compromise is something like a silstar crystal tip. but the tip is too soft for sluggos...

if you want a rod for kings/pelagics and are prepared to use another rod you already have for bream etc (as I have decided to do... plus you can pick these up cheaply... ask tony to show you the cheap vista graphite rod I was looking at)

I can give you no better recomendation that to Talk to Tony and Fishfinder and ask him to show you the rod he is building me.... (should be virtually ready now)

Tony talked me out of trying to have a stick that would do both... with good reason... you just cant get it... unless you get a multi-tapered rod.like the wilson texallium... but this is composite not pure graphite and to me feels like a broomstick with a soft tip.... feels horrible compared to the one he is building me...

Cheers

Rodger Wearne

Thank you Rodger

I think it will be more used for live baiting and lures....to mostly used for jewfish and pelagics.

I have other another 1 or 2 rods that i can use for the bream and flatties...just getting greedy haha....i guess i can swap the reel onto other rods and have quality reel and a few different ranges in rods

I have decided i might try and have ago at the tournaments and thing sshortly also...this is why im just trying to work out what i may need and so on....

Hopefully there is a social in georges or the port hacking soon that i can have ago at and hopefully learn a few things and see if i can match some of the better fishos out there

G'day Dolmo

The Pelgic L is designed for hunting kings, snapper and jews. It is can cast down to 1/4oz quite well. bait fishing for bread and butter species is not a problem and works very well with the bigger and heavier lures required for flathead.

For activly targeting bream with lures you will need rods to suit the required range of lures and presentation styles. I suggest a specificaly designed tournament grade bream rod with a suitable reel if you desire to take up the bream on lures challange and my SP MAX bream series EXCEL at this

My rods are quite good value and I can work out a very good price for a set of 2 (Pelgic L and SP MAX UL). Have word with Jewel and Fishrunner about the potency of this set. You are quite welcome to come and check them out and the rest of the range and even give them a run

Rohit

Thank you very much your your offer.

I think I will have to take you up on this and come and have alook sometime in the next 2 weeks or so.

I currently have a symetre 4000 and a nexave 2500 which are both very nice reels to use, i am thinking maybe the twin power for a reel....any other brands in same price range that anyone would recomend higher? I love the shimano stuff, havnt used anything else.

Again thank you and i will speak to you very shortly

Rohit

I think I will have to take you up on this and come and have alook sometime in the next 2 weeks or so.

I currently have a symetre 4000 and a nexave 2500 which are both very nice reels to use, i am thinking maybe the twin power for a reel....any other brands in same price range that anyone would recomend higher? I love the shimano stuff, havnt used anything else.

Mate you wont be disapointed :thumbup: . Have a good look at the Diawa tierra and kix. They have been performing brilliantly and I also whole heartedly recommend the Penn Affinity. I have been using one lately and with 8 ball bearings, worm drive and full metal body they dont get any smoother or tougher at that price point.

Guest BBM Rick

Rohit

Mate, I have a Twin Power 2500 and a Sustain 4000, and they are both a joy to use. I also have a Certate 2500 Custom R which is one of my favourites. I think this would be a nice choice, small enough to switch between rods (well, maybe a SP Max L76 rather than the UL70) and it has enough drag to cope with Kings and other pelagics. I also have a SP Max UL70 and a SP Max L76, the 2500 size reel is great on the L, and I have a Caldia 1500 on the UL70. These combo's INSPIRE you to get out and use them. as Saqa said, be sure to speak with Fishrunner or Jewel, or check out Flattieman's reveiw here. http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...showtopic=17988

Best of luck with whatever you decide to use mate.

Rick.

Thank you

I think deciding on the reel will be the hardest option for me to make.

I may just stick it out for now with what I have as i dont want to spend to much up front on the full system when i have already spent alot on my current gear in the last few weeks.

with the spools can you purchase extras for each size and brand? Just so that if its time to swap lines or types its easier? I currently only use mono but i do have braid on my 4000 spool at moment, just havnt used it yet.

Guest BBM Rick

Thank you

I think deciding on the reel will be the hardest option for me to make.

I may just stick it out for now with what I have as i dont want to spend to much up front on the full system when i have already spent alot on my current gear in the last few weeks.

with the spools can you purchase extras for each size and brand? Just so that if its time to swap lines or types its easier? I currently only use mono but i do have braid on my 4000 spool at moment, just havnt used it yet.

From memory, the Twin Power and the Sustain both came with spare spools. I hope this helps.

Rick.

Yeh i think most of the newer shimanos do now.

I have 2 spools with the symetre and 2 with my nexave which is an item only available to tackle world but its a nice smooth reel.

I will have to get 6lb braid or 4 lb braid for the spare spool on the 2500 nexave

Guest BBM Rick

Yeh i think most of the newer shimanos do now.

I have 2 spools with the symetre and 2 with my nexave which is an item only available to tackle world but its a nice smooth reel.

I will have to get 6lb braid or 4 lb braid for the spare spool on the 2500 nexave

Sounds like a plan mate, hope it all goes well, be sure to let us know what you order!

Yeh i will let you know mate.

Hopefully I will be able to get out with some of you blokes and learn alot more and hopefully there is a social down southern sydney again soon. What would be a good one for the hacking?

Proably another flatty social or something like that.

Hi Brad

I have gone thought a significant tackle upgrade, and my 3 weapons of choice r

2500 twin power for light spin work to light peligic work on a king rod (bonito) awesome

4000 Certae with braid on a Mahi Mahi for heavy spin, live baiting for Kings, jews, shallow jigging.

10000 Stella, deep jigging, big live bait, receintly live biated a Marlin on it, paired to a stupendous Poper King Rods.

Both the 2500 and the 4000 can b transfered to a cpl of different rods dependant on specieis.

Jon

I reckon the absolutely perfect reel for casting at kings would be the Daiwa Certate Custom 3500HD (Heavy Duty). David Green a noted fishing writer has been raving about it - he's landed wahoo over 30 kg on it! The problem is, it is very exxy - you would be looking at $650 for it.

However, the Shimano equivalent is the Japanese domestic market Twinpower 5000PG (Power Gear).

This reel is a beauty - it's specs are virtually identical to the Certate 3500HD (size, weight, spool capacity, gear ratio, drag power - 9 kg!!!) and it is the beefed up version of the local Twinpower with 10/1 ARBs. In Japan, the Twinpower is second only to the Stella in the Shimano range of reels. I have one and I absolutely adore it. Smooth and refined, yet ultra tough. The beauty of it is, it is significantly cheaper than the Certate. You won't be able to get it locally, but eBay may be an option. Alternatively, if you're after a high speed version for chucking poppers and Slug-gos, the Twinpower 5000HG (High Gear) may be the go.

(If you're really nice to me, I have a spare lying around ... but I don't really want to part with it!)

Edited by swordfisherman

Dave thanks for the info

I shall have alook into those ones today.

I dont think i will purchase 2 reels in one hit so i will decied which rod needs the new reel first and get that and then wait a few weeks (proably next day) to get the next one.

Ok

Had a Quick look online at some reels and prices

Im thinking the following eventually

Daiawa Sol

Daiawa luvias

Shimano twinpower

shimano sustain

There mayb be a better daiawa around same price range...i am not sure.

I am just looking at some online sites to work out rough prices for reels and i just wanted to ask a few questions.

- Whats the difference between say a stella sta 2500 FA and an FB?? only thing i can see is $100 cheaper for FA, but why?

- I dont know whether or not if i get a daiwa reel to go for what they call a tournament reel or not...whats the dif? all seem roughly same prices.....? luvits, calida kix, sol....

There is to many reels from the same companys with roughly same price. let alone checking other companys.....everyone seems to say shimano or daiwa and i like both, just dont want to spend an arm and a leg for the reels if roughly same thing. But do want top quality, looking to spend around 600 or so for 2 reels

Edited by Dolmo

In the smaller sizes, the FA is an older model.

Also, one thing to watch out for when choosing between Shimano and Daiwa is that the numbers and reel sizes don't necessarily correspond.

In general:

Daiwa 3000 = Shimano 4000

Daiwa 3500 = Shimano 5000

Daiwa 4000 = Shimano 6000 etc

However, for some reels like the Daiwa Sol, the above rule does not apply ... it can get confusing!

Another thing, I would be hesitant to recommend a 2500 sized reel as your main reel for targetting pelagics (esp schooling kings) and jewies, unless it's a Daiwa Certate Custom. A more appropriate size would probably be a Shimano 4000 - 6000.

cheers

dave