Advice Needed In Regards To A Petrol Tank

out n about

hey all,

i just recently brought a 75L petrol tank for my 4.2m quinnie runabout with a 35hp on the back. now my question is, is this a good buy? like do you think it is too big for my boat? i brought it so that i will alway know i have petrol in the tank and etc. it adds about 50kg of weight to the back of the boat so is that too much??? i usually ride with about 4 ppl onboard and 5 every now and then as it is one of the only 4.2m runabouts licenced to have 5 ppl on boad as to why we brought it...

all the advice would be grateful...

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hey dave,

I don't see why you can't have that amount of fuel, the only thing that stands out to me is that it will be a loss of approx 50kg of bouyancy that was otherwise utilised via the 5th person or gear etc, you might not need to worry as I honestly don't know what the total weight the boat is rated for carriage until it becomes an issue. Like I said it was the only thing I could think of, someone else may have another opinion.

Brenton

cheers guys,

thanks heaps for the advice... i have been a little worrried cause maybe i thought i'd moved too quick and brought the tank without thing first... the comments you guys have left help me heaps and just reafirms what i was thing that a) it takes the place of the extra person B) the issue of not planing as quick which is no big drama and c) ill have a lot of fuel in comparison to having not enough...

thanks heaps guys you have help me heaps in regard to this issue

Dave

hey all,

i just recently brought a 75L petrol tank for my 4.2m quinnie runabout with a 35hp on the back. now my question is, is this a good buy? like do you think it is too big for my boat? i brought it so that i will alway know i have petrol in the tank and etc. it adds about 50kg of weight to the back of the boat so is that too much??? i usually ride with about 4 ppl onboard and 5 every now and then as it is one of the only 4.2m runabouts licenced to have 5 ppl on boad as to why we brought it...

all the advice would be grateful...

Thanks in advance

Dave

The only other thing I would add would be that if you are worried about the weight, half fill the tank and see how it goes. With a 35 hp motor it would take it 3 hrs at full revs to use half a tank. 36 litres.

I have the same hull in (lighter) tiller steer format with a 40hp on it.

You probably dont have the same ass heavy issues i have with my layout, but i still think 75 litres is too big.

It would be a very big day to go through anymore than 40 litres in my opinion.

I reckon your 35hp would really struggle with 5 people plus 75 litres of fuel. My 40 feels just adequate when i have got 4 people on board. Space may also be an issue for you..

ahhh i thought this was going to end up being a dead topic.... thank god it isnt hehe...

well the reason i brought such a big tank was because i couldn't get my hands on a smaller one as the shops didnt have any in and apparently take a while to order so i was told... so i got a bigger one...

as for space that isnt an issue for me cause i only ever go out with about 3-4 ppl max everytime so its all good plus i can move the rear seat to the middle for weight and comfort reasons so thats ok...

once again guys thanks for the help and the advice its much appreciated..

Dave