How To Tell The Trolling Speed Of A Lure?

wyldchyld01

Hey all,

Is anyone able to enlighten me as to how I can gauge the trolling speed for a lure. Have been given a few oldie jetheads, some balsa, plastic and some well they are in the "who knows" catagory.

Looking at the bibs on a couple give me an idea of depth that they might swim to (shape for poppers etc) but other than saying that I'll stick between 6-7 knots I may be hindering/buggering everything up ie the action etc when trolling.

I know the magnum x-raps from rapala can go up to 13. Or doesn't it matter "as you should troll at low speeds" as I've been advised so that anything can jump on. I personally try to travel at the speed appropriate for the target species, maks/kingies/tuna/bonito all swim at different speeds for bait fish I would have thought.

Cheers for your input

Brenton

Edited by BJBoating

Guest IFishSick.

You troll your lures at the speed for the fish being targetted.

It doesn't matter how fast the lure CAN be trolled. This just means it won't burst out of the water when you get up in speed.

Always the speed to the target species.

Guest danielinbyron

the bibbed lures will swim the same beside the boat as behind it ..its always worth a test ..Even if you just give em a go you'll soon know if they're not handling the speed as they'll tumble and start skiing..

thanks ifishsick, that's what i thought, i mean really it's like asking a lion to nibble on a lettuce leaf otherwise lol.

daniel and robbie, cheers, tested depth in a drum or two and might spend a couple of minutes before i next leave for outside to do just that, have already rigged them on mono for that purpose.

I guess practical application is the only way to truely know, just thought there might be something to hint at speed as i have noticed that even sometimes (after checking a couple of lure boxes this arvo) there is no indication of speed recommendation from the supplier.

cheers

Brenton

From what i have learnt from several sources, internet, books, tv magazies, dvds etc.

Bibbed minnow lures are swimming at the right speed when the tip of the rod is vibrating.

Skirted lures can be trolled at most speeds.

A good speed for trolling skirts/jet heads etc is when there is a wake just evident behind your boat.

On my boat when i troll we sit between 7-9 knots, vary the speeds untill you catch the fish.

Don't forget to stagger the spread of lures behind the boat.

cheers james