Valiant Wreck 17/02/07

Wastin Time

Hi All,

Just a short report on my first trip to the Valiant Wreck.

When we finally located it on the GPS/Sounder it was amazing to see the screen - completly full of fish!!!!

Anway anchored up and no longer had baits hit the bottom we started pulling up snapper after snapper after snapper. They all went around the 20cm mark, but it was more of the fact that we hadnt fished there before & it was producing & you could see bigger fish on the sounder.

Had a brief encounter with a dive boat :mad3: funny how after he circled us for about 10mins then politely asked how long we would be, the fish stopped biting!!! Oh well

Definately heading back there & i was surprised at how close in the wreck is .

Anyway headed back for a token Dangar Island drift, for a small red & my FIRST JEWIE :yahoo: all 29cm of him.

Looking foward to next weekend

Good Stuff WT - you've found it, so now all you need to do is pull some quality fish off it!!

I've been fishing Broken Bay a fair bit this summer and haven't been impressed yet. Very quiet by all accounts - I have yet to see a report from someone who's cleaned up in BB this year. Spent a good three hours drifting west reef about a week ago for nothing but red rock cod, and NOTHING from the Kingies (although I have heard sporadic reports of kings off Barrenjoey and Box Head).

Dunno what the deal is - the close reefs around the mouth of the hawkesbury should be teeming with good fish at this time of year, but they continue to be pretty barren. Maybe the pros are working it too hard.

Whatever - it's still nice to get out on the water. Glad to hear you had a good time.

Good Stuff WT - you've found it, so now all you need to do is pull some quality fish off it!!

I've been fishing Broken Bay a fair bit this summer and haven't been impressed yet. Very quiet by all accounts - I have yet to see a report from someone who's cleaned up in BB this year. Spent a good three hours drifting west reef about a week ago for nothing but red rock cod, and NOTHING from the Kingies (although I have heard sporadic reports of kings off Barrenjoey and Box Head).

Dunno what the deal is - the close reefs around the mouth of the hawkesbury should be teeming with good fish at this time of year, but they continue to be pretty barren. Maybe the pros are working it too hard.

Whatever - it's still nice to get out on the water. Glad to hear you had a good time.

I've had no real real luck around the Bay or out wide either, (Broken Bay or Terrigal). I believe it is all to do with this years unusually strong and consistant North Easterly winds which have caused the warm water to bypass us and travel further south then eddy in on the south side of Sydney. There was a big puddle of cold water trapped along the coast from Sydney all the way up to Pelicans for a long time and even further north. The south coast appears to have our fish. :mad3:

Can't comment on what the pro's have to do with it all but I bet they're struggling too. It is positive though, to read recent Raider reports of the many juvenile Jews in the river. They grow pretty quick.

between myself and 5 cousins we have put in some serious hours in the hawkesbury this summer and have come home dejected on 90% of our trips, i cant work it out but somethings off this summer, im guessing and praying its going to be a later season than usual. Weve been plagued by eels, sharks and rays as well as hundreds of baby jewies with only a handful of legals, best going 8kg. On the contrary, the harbour has been on fire.

the valiant holds some nice fish at times and weve pulled some nice kings and even samsons over the years but its very hit and miss and forget it when the dive boats there.

Edited by jewnut