First Run Today With The Kids

majed1965

Hi All,

Today was my first new run in my new boat (well second hand boat that is). Took the kids after school to Georges River National PArk at Picnic Point for a couple of hours to fully test.

Went quite well. Lots of grunt in the old 70 HP Evinrude. New steering seemed to be fine. (I believe its normal for one side to be harder to steer than the other when your cruising along?). Did an hours fishing around the bend past Alfred's Point bridge. Lots of bites and near catches, but unfortunatelty we came home empty. But my goal today was to see how the boat performed, and it went well. The kids were happy and thats all that counts.

I am still a bit rust in my driving. We had a bit of scare when i was cruising along at hig speed when the boat seemed to lean to one side. I thought it was going to tip over, but i slowed down and it balanced back. Not sure what i did wrong, it was a straight run and the water was a bit choppy. Was it the trim of the engine or soemthing else i might of done wrong. It scared me.

There were 2 of us at the front of the boat, the young one was in the cabin and the fourth was standing in the cabin out of the opening at the bow.

Where in Botany Bay should i fish, or Georges River? What tides to fish? What bait to use, strenth of lines, sinkers and hook sizes?

I forgot to take pictures today to post. I will do next time. Many thanks.

Hi All,

Today was my first new run in my new boat (well second hand boat that is). Took the kids after school to Georges River National PArk at Picnic Point for a couple of hours to fully test.

Went quite well. Lots of grunt in the old 70 HP Evinrude. New steering seemed to be fine. (I believe its normal for one side to be harder to steer than the other when your cruising along?). Did an hours fishing around the bend past Alfred's Point bridge. Lots of bites and near catches, but unfortunatelty we came home empty. But my goal today was to see how the boat performed, and it went well. The kids were happy and thats all that counts.

I am still a bit rust in my driving. We had a bit of scare when i was cruising along at hig speed when the boat seemed to lean to one side. I thought it was going to tip over, but i slowed down and it balanced back. Not sure what i did wrong, it was a straight run and the water was a bit choppy. Was it the trim of the engine or soemthing else i might of done wrong. It scared me.

There were 2 of us at the front of the boat, the young one was in the cabin and the fourth was standing in the cabin out of the opening at the bow.

Where in Botany Bay should i fish, or Georges River? What tides to fish? What bait to use, strenth of lines, sinkers and hook sizes?

I forgot to take pictures today to post. I will do next time. Many thanks.

This is my second reply tonight re: engine trim (see Cox Craft post, don't know how to put the link here, can anyone tell me?).

A boat I used to own with a 135hp outboard on it would lean if given too much throttle when trimmed right in. It had a pin which could be placed in any of a series of holes to limit the amount of "in" trim. It is simply a case of choosing the right position for this pin if your engine is similar. Does anyone know if this is a common feature on outboards? (Got a sterndrive now, so I can't remember).

Hi Majed,

Do you have a foil added to the outboard? if so what type is it (ie a one piece plastic or aluminum or a two piece plastic).

I have heard stories that on some boats they can cause what you described. I have have had the one piece plastic version on two previous boats and never experienced this so I'm thinking it only happens if you have the two piece version.

I think i migt have had the motor in the wrong trim position when it leaned to one side. Trying to work out what the best positions for the trim. Ie. on take off, cruising, slowing down etc.

Any help would be grealty appreciated.

Majed,

Did you see my comments in post#2?

Generally, when taking off you should have the motor fully trimmed in, which prevents bow lift and allows the boat to plane quicker. Once on the plane you can then trim up. How much depends on a lot of factors such as boat speed, water conditions etc. Too much trim and the boat may porpoise or the prop may cavitate or slip. Too little trim and you will be pushing a lot of water which may result in a wet ride and lots of fuel being chewed. My tip would be to experiment with it, probably in smooth water first, to see how the boat reacts to different trim settings.

Good luck and have fun!

P.S. I just read your comment that it was harder to steer one way than the other. From my experience that also can happen when the engine is trimmed in too far. Trim up a bit, and you'll probably notice the steering become lighter and not want to pull to one side. Hope this helps!