What Size Poddy Mullet To Use

tumra

Guys,

I have recently taken up catching poddy mullet in the georges river to use as live bait, though the poddy mullet i have been catching seem pretty small (about 5-6cm). What size poddy mullet should i be using as live bait, and what size hook should i be using??? I am used to using yellow tail, so the poddy mullet look really small.

THanks for the help.

Anthony

Guest IFishSick.

Depending on where you're fishing as to what size mullet to use. These 5 - 6cm specimens will do the job as long as they are fairly fat.

I would suggest a 3/0 circle hook through the back of the fish. These sized fish would be a good flathead size, 10cm would be better though.

The bigger the better tumra.

The size range of poddies will dictate the size range of the fish you catch - the bigger the poddie, the bigger the flattie (or jew). It's honestly that simple - all those times you've caught a biggie and thrown it back 'cause it was too big for bait are times when that metre plus lizard may have passed you by.

OK - maybe you've never done that, but I have :tease: .

Mind you - IFS is right about the size you need for general flattie fishing. 5-10cm is good, but any smaller than 5cm and the size of the hook will be a bit too big for the bait.

Guys,

I have recently taken up catching poddy mullet in the georges river to use as live bait, though the poddy mullet i have been catching seem pretty small (about 5-6cm). What size poddy mullet should i be using as live bait, and what size hook should i be using??? I am used to using yellow tail, so the poddy mullet look really small.

THanks for the help.

Anthony

Where abouts in the Georges are you getting them. I have had a couple of goes lately for no luck.

I pin em from under their mouth through and out the top of its nose being careful not to go too deep into his head. They stay alive if u place the hook correctly. I use small longshank hooks the thinner diameter the longer theyl live. By the way how are you catching the poddies. Ive been let down by the mullet traps you buy in the shops and have only caught em in my mates homemade job.

hey guys...

thanks for the comments. I have been catching the poddy mullet at kelso park (near panania/ east hills way) near the storm water drains. I have been using the standard traps you buy at the shops. WHat i do its is microwave the bread so that it is really stale and mush it up in a ball and put it in the trap. I then throw it into the water from the shoreline. I make sure that the trap is mostly covered by the water. I then throw a ball of bread dough next to the trap so that all the mullet get attracted to the trap. Give it about 15-20 minutes and you can start to see the fish in the trap.

I tie a long rope to the trap so that you can bring it in quickly and not let the fish escape. So far i have tried catching the mullet twice, both with great success.

Thanks for the advice on the size of the hooks to use. Im going to give it a go tomorrow.