Lake Lyell Levels

Steve Mc

Does anyone know what difference the recent rains have made to the water levels at Lake Lyell? I used to check the levels as they were posted fortnightly on the Delata Electricity website but they haven't updated for many months now. has anyone fished there lately?

I drove to the lake for a look on the way back from Orange last week. The water level is still really low, like 150 meters from the end of the boat ramp befor you reach water. This was just after the rain we had. Problem is the rain fell on the eastern side of the mountains and little fell on the western side to drain into the lake.

Cheers

I drove to the lake for a look on the way back from Orange last week. The water level is still really low, like 150 meters from the end of the boat ramp befor you reach water. This was just after the rain we had. Problem is the rain fell on the eastern side of the mountains and little fell on the western side to drain into the lake.

Cheers

G'day Martin

Sure you have the right lake?

150 metres from the end of the boat ramp would see the lake well and truly empty.

Not doubting you, just shocked as I haven't seen the Lake since before Christmas.

This is a pic from 12 months ago just to show what it was like back then.

At this stage the water was about 1 metre above the end of the ramp.

post-9-1172484745_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hooky.

A quick look on Google Earth got me this image.

The water sure looks like a long way from the bottom of the ramp to me. BUT, who knows how old the image is??

LakeLcopy.jpg

Either way give the good folk at the caravan park a call and they will set you straight..

Phone: 02 6355 6347

Fax: 02 6355 6347

Cheers.

Robbie.

Hi Hooky

I am pretty sure the sign on the road and dam both said Lake Lyell same place I once went camping and trout fishing :biggrin2:

The water is now lower that the Google Earth photo. Its worth the drive just to fathom how low. It comes into prospective we you look at the tower near the dam wall and see the water mark indicating the once upon a time water level.

Delta Electricity are pumping water out of the dam to top up their other dams so it gets lower by the day.

Just spoke to the park managers and they said its now past the 150m mark from the bottom of the ramp. They are getting some rain but Delta is constantly pumping water out of the lake.Henc why the levels have dropped so much.

Cheers

:thumbdown::mad3: my freshwater fishing has dropped by 80% since that lake closed to boating.

It is a great place to camp and take the boat for a freshwater flush.

It'll take a couple of years to go back to 100% again, i wonder if that jetty/pontoon will ever float again :(

Because the water levels are so low would it mean the fish population are more concentrated over a smaller area or has some form of natural culling occoured to the fish stock, hence when the water levels recover it may be years before fish stocks build up unless stocked.

Does any one know?

Cheers

Because the water levels are so low would it mean the fish population are more concentrated over a smaller area or has some form of natural culling occoured to the fish stock, hence when the water levels recover it may be years before fish stocks build up unless stocked.

Does any one know?

Cheers

The lake normally receives 10000 each of brownies and rainbows a year and will be full one or two pounders if we can get our boats in this autumn, it fished very well twelve months ago when one big storm allowed boating for while.

Regards Charlie