Too Many Choices

ATrezise

Hi ya's,

Im trying to decide on what to buy. Basically I have finance approved through Yamaha and just need to decide what to buy. My nearest Yamaha dealer is also quintrex.

So Im tossing up between a 4.2 Dory with extruded side decks, bimini and a Yamaha 40 2stroke (3cyl) with E/Start and power tilt/trim and direction oil injection for approx $12K. Then I can add a transom step and rails, bow rails, anchor well, Nav lights and bilge pump later on.

OR get the 4.2 Topender CV, which is basically a dory with all the above mentioned extras and a 30hp 3cyl Yamaha, BUT NO, PTT or E/Start and pre/mix fuel for approx $10.8K

So I guess the decision is really do I want to get it all now and have only 30hp or get the basic boat with a tricked up 40HP and as money becomes available get the extras.

ARGHHHHH Decisions.

I want to be able to get across the Richmond River bar at Ballina to chase snapper etc on close inshore reefs as well as run about the river fishing with wife and little kids from time to time. Its the bar crossing bit that makes me think have the 40 horses and do the boat up as it is possible.

Hi Andy...Just a suggestion... If you want to give the Quinnie 4.2 Dory a tryout...Give Darren at Tralierboathire (one of our sponsors) a call. Trailerboathire.

All his boats are the 4.2 Dory and have 30 horse Suzukis on the back.

It might give you some idea how they handle and if 30 horse is enough for your needs.

Let me tell you...with the 30 horse on them...they fly!!

You can hire one for the day and put it through it's paces before deciding on the boat of your choice.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Thanks Pete, going to Sydney to try one out had crossed my mind, but . . . its 700km's away by road. 3 domestic airlines fly to sydney daily from my town, but getting a day off orgainsed in time to get cheap fares etc . . . not happening with my job at the moment. So . . .

The dealer is getting a boat for me to test next week, it has a 40hp 4stroke on it, but should give me idea of the boats handling.

Does anyone have experience with a 40 size tiller steer ? that was either manual tilt/no on the go trim ? or used one with the tilt and trim ?

At 84kg the Yamaha 40 manual start and hydro tilt isnt a light motor to tilt up. The dealer thought the hydro tilt helped but . . . its still a heavy motor.

Andy T

Are these boats new? or what they have in stock and doing deals?

both hulls are the same give or take millimetres

why couldn,t you get the 40VWHTOL on the topender rather then the 30 hp

Power tilt trim is a good option as it does help to get the boat on the plane

if you haven,t packed the boat well.

or at speed if the water starts to chop up a little you just need to get the nose up a little without the issue of moving things as you try to do when your under way as most people try to do (unsafe)

i love e-start that's it

i just jumped on the quintrex site and they have there packages and the dory at $12k looks a little expensive

maybe but i don,t know all the extras prices.

A 420 dory with a 30hp mariner is $8000 + delivery charges the motor upgrade will increase the price and the battery etc and bimini but $4 grands. not sure

Johnno,

These are new boats. the 40VWHTOL adds several grand to the price of a 30 (about a grand to the cost of a 40VMHTL, man start and pre mix) and my option with the side rails (ala topender) adds about 6-700 to the basic Dory too.

Im swaying towards the dory plus extruded side rails, bimini, transducer bracket and the 40VWHTOL for approx $12K, then have a local metal fab guy make the anchor well (with a lid), bow rails and bow roller, rear step and side rails and the side storage box's for me. Its sure to cost less than the $900 quintrex want for those options. Plus I save approx $900 quintrex want for the accessory pack, which is nav lights, auto bilge pump, battery box, battery isolator, switch panel all pre installed.

My wife keeps telling me to get the bigger motor, she says "I dont wanna hear you whingeing and whining later, that you should have got the bigger motor, just get it now and get the other nice things later." What a gem of a wife I have.

Edited by AndyT

Andy , ask Stewy to do the negotiating for you!! :074:

You will probably end up with a 5 metre boat with a 90 HP for the same price !!!

My own personal choice would be to get the base model boat , with the best engine you can afford . PTT , oil injection , the works. Then , customise it the way you really want it . Im sure you can do it just as well as the dealer , and not pay their exhorbitant prices for the addons.

Good luck with this project , keep us advised if developements !!

Ross

Johnno, I agree and its the reason I asked for the test. The test boat is the dealership owners boat, that he use for river and inshore reef fishing. Apparently its pretty close to the Topender 420 CV in fitout, with extras like permanently mounted ice box and tackle locker. So should be a good comparison.

Ross, if I decide to go with the 40VWHTOL, Im going with the 420 Dory plus the extruded side decks (like the topender 420 cv) as its the only mod that cant be done after construction and still keep the warranty on the hull. Adding steps, bow rails, modifying front deck for anchor well etc isnt structural to the hull and OK. Just got to try and beat this dealer down in price. Its a bit hard though as there isnt another Yamaha and Quintrex dealer really close by to haggle against the other for my dollars.

G'day Andy ,

There are always wrinkles in deals like this , it all depends on how badly they want to sell you a boat. If you get some prices in Sydney that are better , I will pick up and deliver for you when I am on holidays !! I'll even test run it on the way up for you at no extra charge !! !!! :074:

Ross

Well Im no closer to making a choice. In fact Ive got more confused when I saw a Stessco Catcher 4.2 with an Etec40 the other day. Im going for a run in it this weekend with the owner.

Does anyone have experience with Stessco Boats ?

I know they have a bad rap sheet on other forums, but so does almost any boat. I think it comes down to personal choice but I am interested to hear others thoughts on the Stessco. The quintrex get heaps of bad rap and heaps of praise, a bit like the Ford V Holden debate.

Andy

i have a new stessco 4.2 skipper runabout and love it

i choose it over quintrex and stacer as the transom gave me more space, it was wider and it was cheaper.

a tinnie is a tinnie, pick the best shape for your needs, and get the biggest and best engine you can afford and fit on the boat

Thanks Pete, going to Sydney to try one out had crossed my mind, but . . . its 700km's away by road. 3 domestic airlines fly to sydney daily from my town, but getting a day off orgainsed in time to get cheap fares etc . . . not happening with my job at the moment. So . . .

The dealer is getting a boat for me to test next week, it has a 40hp 4stroke on it, but should give me idea of the boats handling.

Does anyone have experience with a 40 size tiller steer ? that was either manual tilt/no on the go trim ? or used one with the tilt and trim ?

At 84kg the Yamaha 40 manual start and hydro tilt isnt a light motor to tilt up. The dealer thought the hydro tilt helped but . . . its still a heavy motor.

Yeah I drove that exact setup with one of the boats at University when I was a student. It was awesome. I am not a big guy and i don't remember having any trouble with the tilt.

I however have the little brother of the Dory (the dart). Whilst i love my boat, I am not overly enthused about quintrex anymore. I just look at some of the other makes and they just seem a little tidier with respect to welds etc.

Davo

Well I had a good test run in a Stessco Catcher 4.2 with a brand new ETEC40 Tiller steer. 4th trip for the new boat and he lets me drive it for about 30mins, of the 40min we were on the water. Extremely grateful to Robert, thanks.

Im sold, what a combo, the Catcher and the Etec is a really nice package. We got 46km/h (Ground speed from GPS) at WOT, going upstream into the tide flow, with a light tail wind. The boat handled the return into wind and chop with ease and took the wake of other boats easily with no porpoising or undue roll. Larger chop, cross wind then add in the swell creeping down the river mouth from the bar and we didnt get a drop of water in the boat, and it handled the conditions easily. Not that they were particularly bad, just a range of water to try it on. Going with the swell at a range of speeds showed no tendency to broach as the boat started to surf. The ETEC40 is easy to drive and trim, the trim rocker switch on the end of the throttle is easy to use. Robert has two 24 litre fuel tanks on board and they were filled when he got it new, 3 weeks ago, after today there is 1 and a half tanks remaining. 12 litres of fuel used in two trips offshore to close in reefs trolling for an hour or so each time and a period of bottom fishing, one trip with his wife and about 40 mins with me today, mostly at or near WOT. So far, not even 1/5th of the oil tank is used, and its running more oil at the moment during computer controlled break in period.

Im impressed.

Johnno,

These are new boats. the 40VWHTOL adds several grand to the price of a 30 (about a grand to the cost of a 40VMHTL, man start and pre mix) and my option with the side rails (ala topender) adds about 6-700 to the basic Dory too.

Im swaying towards the dory plus extruded side rails, bimini, transducer bracket and the 40VWHTOL for approx $12K, then have a local metal fab guy make the anchor well (with a lid), bow rails and bow roller, rear step and side rails and the side storage box's for me. Its sure to cost less than the $900 quintrex want for those options. Plus I save approx $900 quintrex want for the accessory pack, which is nav lights, auto bilge pump, battery box, battery isolator, switch panel all pre installed.

My wife keeps telling me to get the bigger motor, she says "I dont wanna hear you whingeing and whining later, that you should have got the bigger motor, just get it now and get the other nice things later." What a gem of a wife I have.

I agree with the Mrs, go the 40hp !!!!