Jacking The Trailer

lighthouse2k

Just a basic question

I have a Signature 540f on a Mackay single axle trailer. What kind of Jack do I need in case of puncture or brake service. I would not think my crappy car jack will do or will it?

Thanks

Chris

Your car jack will be fine, however the height of the trailer might be a problem. Ensure you have a piece of wood or something you can sit under the jack to give it a firm base and also between the jack and the trailer to increase the surface area. ( Gives a safer working environment and spreads the load more)

Hi mate I brought this subject up a few months ago but not much discussion eventuated out of it which I think is a shame cause not many people including my self ever think of it till it actually happens. Since then I have bought a hydrolic jack and it works like a breeze.

Cheers

I got an XR6. So if you are a holden fan its crappy :05: I think I might get a bottle jack. More thinking about the load capacity, should that be of concern as its 1600 basically on 3 wheels. So its gonna do more work than on the car.

Thanks for your reply.

Chris

Nothing wrong with that car jack, I have the same type. The times I have used it on the trailer I place it underneath the spring pad to lift the wheel off the ground instead of lifting the whole trailer then if Im not in a hurry I'll use a stand or something just in case. Why worry about the load on the jack? it never has the full GVM on it when lifting the corner of your car or boat.

Edited by vision21

When we pushed our wheel carrage forward on our haines hunter 580slf almost 2 tones we used a siccor jack EXTREMELY CAREFULLY and put car stands under the frame just incase anything happend, the siccor jack did the job fine, it worked better than a trolley jack.

cheers james

Just a basic question

I have a Signature 540f on a Mackay single axle trailer. What kind of Jack do I need in case of puncture or brake service. I would not think my crappy car jack will do or will it?

Thanks

Chris

Hi, I use a trolley jack they allow for mobility as well as stability and they come in asmall car size and cheap,Regards swaggie :1welcomeani: