Middle Harbour - The Spit

spizza

G'day,

Took my trusty canoe out Saturday morning and ventured out amongst the moored yachts in search of Kings..Launched at sunrise from under the bridge and spent an hour or two with no signs of any takers or surface action. Right on peak low tide (8.30), I ventured across to the yachts on the Clontarf side. It was a good move and I felt like 'Johnny on the spot' for a change. Within 5 minutes of ariving all hell broke loose with a large school of chopper tailer boiling the surface in amongst the yachts. I witnessed the funniest things I have ever seen fishing. The tailor were in such a frenzy that they were literally jumping head first into the moored yachts chasing the tiny baitfish, all you could hear were loud thuds all around..... :thumbup: I managed to get stuck in amongst the tailor and landed about 10 choppers in 5 minutes....Playing the first caught tailor close to the canoe, I had a visit from a school of rat kings that seemed very interested by all the commotion.......I tried various tricks to try and get the Kings interested in my soft plastic offerings but the Tailor gave me no chance......every cast was met with Tailor within seconds of the plastics hitting the water....didn't matter what size plastic either....bloody Tailor wouldn't give me a chance to get the lure down deep enough...seemed to me that the Kings were sitting under the Tailor school....

I'll be back there again hopefully next week for another crack at the Kings... :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Spizza

G'day spizza! Great to see you posting again. :thumbup:

How have you been mate. Any fish from the sand lately?

Nice looking kayak there & it sounds like you had a top little session. Shame the Kings didn't want to play. Getting towed around by a King in a yak is be top fun!

Cheers,

Grant.

Spizza, next time, I'd suggest taking a fillet off a legal tailor and bunging it on your hook. Send that down deep and you should get nailed by a king. I guess you can only carry so much gear in a kayak, so I don't know how you'd manage with a knife etc. Well done on the choppers. :thumbup::biggrin2:

Flattieman.

quote name='Jewhunter' date='Feb 25 2007, 07:01 PM' post='150156']

G'day spizza! Great to see you posting again. :thumbup:

How have you been mate. Any fish from the sand lately?

Nice looking kayak there & it sounds like you had a top little session. Shame the Kings didn't want to play. Getting towed around by a King in a yak is be top fun!

Cheers,

Grant.

g'day mate!

Yeah, with new bubs on board last year was a blur............but all good :thumbup: Hope all is well with you..

Re the sands - I had some awesome sessions on Sambo's last year, but haven't had a crack at them this year. As for the Jews, most reports I've seen is that it's been very quiet on the Nth Beaches Jew front..Seems that cold water we had around Chrissy upset the balance......You had much luck?

Yeah, I bought the canoe last year, and having an absolute ball......haven't got a king or jew on it yet.....but it's only a matter of time...! :biggrin2:

Yeah the taylor have killed Clontarf the last two weeks.

I have been fishing shore based there alot the last couple of months and you cant get anything but taylor there at the moment! Havent seen many kings or bonnies at all since their arrival. There is still alot of bait fish hanging around though...

I couldnt manage to catch one yakka out by the pool either! every drop of the bait rig would be a multiple taylor hook up...

Ben.

Spizza, next time, I'd suggest taking a fillet off a legal tailor and bunging it on your hook. Send that down deep and you should get nailed by a king. I guess you can only carry so much gear in a kayak, so I don't know how you'd manage with a knife etc. Well done on the choppers. :thumbup::biggrin2:

Flattieman.

Good advice from the flattieman, saved my day earlier this week.

John

Flattieman.

Thanks for the tip mate......I'll keep that one up my sleeve next time.....I've set myself the challenge to get a Kingie on plastic from the kayak, but I just wasn't expecting the tailor too be so thick. What I didn't add in the post was that at one stage, the tailor had rounded up the baitfish right up to shallows of Clontarf beach. Some guy was standing in the water playing with his dog and looked a little confused with the situation unfolding around him...lol

cheers,

Spizza :thumbup: