Rock Fishing

hottyscotty

I've done a bit of searching and i've found most of the rock fishing topics are done upwards from North Head in Sydney. Not much has been mentioned south of Sydney, except a mention in kurnell.

As places from South Head onwards to the Royal National Park are closer to me it'll be easier for me to get to. However, i don't know which spots are fishable. Can rock fishing be read like beach fishing? If so what do i look out for that will produce some good fish like kingies for example?

I've always thought any rock fishing spot is a good spot but apparently not. I went to Blue Fish Pt and i looked to the left around the point, there were rock platforms that were almost sea level and i was told that spot was not good for fishing even though it looked perfect.

I've walked around Kurnell from Inscription Point to Yena Gap and it all looks good except the obvious spots where rocks are exposed right in front. I want to know what to look for so i can fish this area as its very close to me. I do hope Yena is a good spot because last time i went there it was quite rough and still it was quite safe to fish. It seems to be quite deep as well.

The best way to find a new spot is to put on a pair of boots and start walking. There are lots of places in the National Park, that I havent seen listed in the guides, and dont get fished as much as the popular (or accessible) places. The most important thing is to find a good depth of water at your feet.

Google Earth and a good map will help point you in the right direction.

What I would suggest is to go for a walk with just a spinning rod and a few lures, and suss out a few spots to hit later with all the gear. If you put in the yards, its far more rewarding than going to the same place as the crowds.

Also - be very, very careful when sussing out a new spot...

I think anywhere of the rocks will be good you can only test it really i given it a miss way to expensive with loosing tackle and all .... but when your on its good .... just remember too keep it safe an let someone know where your going and how long your gonna be if your going alone, or take a friend and a mobile phone rock fishing can be really dangerous and lots of people die evry year from it

...RIP to our fallen comrads..... :beersmile:

Hey mondo ive actually got that book ,i think lol ,the one ive got i found at a boot sale,picked it up for

2 bucks.its all black &white photos and published in early 70'S. its just amongst all the other books ive got,ill

see if i can find it. Scotty since moving to sydney i havent been on the rocks since most of the formations

are either at sea level (which on a incoming tide or any swell can be highly dangerous) or you have to climb

down 30ft of rope.I suggest if you find a likely place just watch it for 20mins or so, try and learn the way the swell ,water moves and know the tide.use the first occasion as a exploration. :thumbup:

ill pm you if i find the book.

craig.

the book is called 'the complete fisherman's guide to SYdney's Top Fishing spots written by james cameron. i have quite an old edition bought 5 yrs ago. since then i've never seen any copy around. out of print?? dunno

hey scotty, u seem not to have much experience in rock fishing. let me tell u the 2 realities: 1st its a great way to catch a mixed bag of fish from bream to salmon, drummer to kingies etc and 2nd, its the most dangerous sport in the country. so watch out. never fish alone and never adventure to a spot without observing for at least 1/2 hr or even more. the best way is to grab a local who fish the region. when i first start fishing in sydney i caught nothing for 3 yrs!!! yep that's the truth. but since a local took me fishing and taught me the abc of rock fishing, i can say now i never came home without a fish.

the royal national park is a great location. garie beach is top for salmons and my beast spot is burning palms...but its such a long walk...esp on the way back uphill if u caught a couple of salmon

good luck

its the most dangerous sport in the country. so watch out. never fish alone and never adventure to a spot without observing for at least 1/2 hr or even more. the best way is to grab a local who fish the region.

ain't that the truth. Is there a local fishing club you could join and tag along with an 'old salt'?

Gary Brown is a member of the forum.....

I met a fellow fisho at the airport (sydney) on the way back from brisbane, and he had taken a 22 pound kingfish of the rocks at Maroubra.

But all the other rock fisho's i personally know generally head to whale beach or north head. Whale beach is generally pretty safe, although it is a bit of a trek.

Where we live we have a great little drummer spot (Freshwater Beach) that is fantastic, on the right weather and tide a bag limit can be reached in 45 mins.

Good luck :bump0ee:

Henners

yes just found the book its called sydneys top fishing spots.lol Originally costing 4.95

published approx 1985.and its got beach and rock spots from barrenjoey to coalcliff plus

plus heaps of other stuff,i havent read yet wow.

yes just found the book its called sydneys top fishing spots.lol Originally costing 4.95

published approx 1985.and its got beach and rock spots from barrenjoey to coalcliff plus

plus heaps of other stuff,i havent read yet wow.

post-2960-1172828562_thumb.jpg

hey frantic i think i got the slightly newer version and i paid $10 new 5 yrs ago. haven't seen any copy around.

scotty, i think the best way to start the rocks is ti hire guys like alex belissimo who runs classes on beach and rock fishing. any fishraider runs beach and rock fishing classes???

where's that fantastic drummer spot henry???