The Entrance - Great Fishing

cuds01

Hello All,

Two weeks back I spent 10 days at the entrance and got the opportunity to get out away from the wife and kids.

Did a bit of night fishing and landed some really good whiting 35cm+ and Flathead 45cm+. I also caught a bloody pelican mid flight and it took me awhile to work out why I was being spooled. Not something I would recommend. I eventually got all my line, sinker & hook back, he or she certainly wan't happy though.

One day day I went out in the middle of the day, it was hot, the tides were crap but it was the only time I could get the chance to have a go. I started off in the same spot as the night fishing, a school of mullet were sitting 1m from me. They were so close that I could not use my rod to cast into them so i hand casted the sinker by hand. I ended up catching 5 whiting under the mullet. Then I casted into the channel and caught 6 Flathead ranging from just under legal size to just legal to 45cm+. I kept the whiting & released all but the big flathead. Also caught a lot of undersize bream. So all in all a good couple of hours fishing, besides the sun burnt feet.

I have to say the fishing is extremely healthy at the Entrance but it was extremely annoying on the weekends watching people catching undersize whiting and keeping them :thumbdown: Poor Form.

Happy Fishing

Edited by cuds01

I have to say the fishing is extremely healthy at the Entrance but it was extremely annoying on the weekends watching people catching undersize whiting and keeping them :thumbdown: Poor Form.

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider.

i love fishing the entrance but like you it annoys the crap out of me to see all those undersized fish being kept and everytime i go there i see this happens, fisheries would have a field day there. it still astounds me that the quality fish are still there.

At the last Entrance social there was a family right in front of us catching and keeping small tarwhine or bream. We even had the fisheries guys there with us who, despite going down and forcing the family to release the fish they had, did nothing in the way of fining them or moving them along.

Whilst the fisheries guys gave us their presentation you could see the family behind them continue to catch undersized fish, sneaking a glance at the fisheries guys to see if they were watching, and then dropping the fish in their bucket if they weren't. It was brazen and completely frustrating. The family appeared to have no sense whatsoever that what they were doing was wrong.

It's that kind of attitude that the fisheries guys must face every single weekend. And you can imagine the fuss that would be kicked up by these types of people if they received a fine.

I was up there years ago at night, on the sand bar on the northern side of the bridge.

This 15 yo kid walked off into the darkness with a 16 foot rod and 15 minutes later came back with an overflowing bucket of mullet.

He shone his torch across the water and watched them jump, then he cast out a huge 3 barb hook and jagged them. He used to sell them to the fish market each day for pocket money.