Estuarine Madness

longtail

Just got back home from a twilight session @ my local breakwall. Lots of tarwhine & plenty of very nervous mullet. Dropped a nice jew :ranting2: which took a liking to a live occy caught on-site. So I'm walking back along the wall and there's a big pool of blood on the concrete, 'bout a metre in diameter, I follow the trail of blood back toward the carpark feeling like some kind of forensic investigator! There's a young bloke struggling with what appeared to be a shark of about 4.5-5 feet, not an unusual catch here by any means. As I get closer in the darkness... the biggest freakin' cobia I've ever seen comes into view. :1yikes: The lucky angler was buzzing with excitement - he could have powered the entire Hunter region on his "buzz" alone.

What makes this remarkable is a few things:- this breakwall is well within an estuary fed by 3 substantial rivers; Tide was ebbing and the water was very green; the sun had well & truly set at the time of hookup; The cobe took a whole squid set for a jew firmly planted on the seabed; the nearest assistant was clueless with the gaff, to the point that the angler hands over the rod (after numerous near-disaster failed gaffing attempts) & gaffs his own fish!

No camera, so no photos :( but news of this capture will make the local media & tackle shops for sure.

Anyone heard of similar cobe behaviour ?

PS another recent notable capture here was a 525kg Tiger shark on 15 kilo!!! Bloody lucky it didn't die on the end of the line.

Weird catch for an estuary, although i have heard up at lemon tree passage portstevons they get cobia in there whn the waters right.

cheers james

OK, makes sense. This one was from the D'Albora marina wall. We get all sorts of weird tourists here. Hopefully the bluefin tuna will show up next month, fun on a stick !

OK, makes sense. This one was from the D'Albora marina wall. We get all sorts of weird tourists here. Hopefully the bluefin tuna will show up next month, fun on a stick !

That's good water there although it might have been green on the day. I reckon you could catch anything there at times. Cobia have been caught in Brisbane Water around Woy Woy Bridge and in Paddys Channel and these spots are much further from open ocean than D'Albora at Nelsons Bay. I once watched some kids spinning up heaps of baby kings there. Little ones only about 40 cm long but heaps of them.

There was a 6 kg snapper caught there a few months ago, i have also caught a red worwong there before (not sure if that is rare or not but i have never seen them there before). Seen good kings taken there aswell. Can't wait till i can get up there nest. Good fishing !

I used a small live occie as bait once, you just put it under a float :)

Damn good capture though, thats a big cobia and at night!

Has ony one else ever heard of them being caught at night? I always assumed they are a daylight fish just like a kingie?

Dropshot - can I ask a question?

How on earth do you use live octopus as bait?!?

Surely it would just crawl straight under a rock as soon as you threw it out!!

Pin a big hook thru it's noggin & pelt it out. They're not the most powerful swimmers, But will certainly attach themselves to anything solid. Doesn't require much lead to keep them leashed.

That's good water there although it might have been green on the day. I reckon you could catch anything there at times. Cobia have been caught in Brisbane Water around Woy Woy Bridge and in Paddys Channel and these spots are much further from open ocean than D'Albora at Nelsons Bay. I once watched some kids spinning up heaps of baby kings there. Little ones only about 40 cm long but heaps of them.

Copy that. I've seen big eagle rays, Numbfish, wobbegongs on the surface and my fave, NBT's which are a real buzz on spin gear, and in big numbers. The kingis are prolific at times esp. first hour of the flood.